Sep 12, 2009, 1:47 PM EDT
“We’ve had some dramatic games since
the end of May, but that one right there goes to the top of the list.
We’re down to a swing, and the interesting thing about it is the guy
who is one of the hottest hitters on our club is the guy at bat. What
an at-bat he had there in that situation.”
– Rockies manager Jim Tracy marvels at his club’s latest improbable comeback,
this time over the Padres on Friday night. The Rockies have won eight
straight games, extending their lead in the National League Wild Card
race to 5 1/2 games entering play on Saturday.
“It’s a good thing I’m doing these interviews before we found out. I can still smile right now, right?”
– Derek Jeter speaks with reporters during a rain delay after passing Lou Gehrig on the Yankees’ all-time hit list. Jeter was asked whether the moment would be soured if the Yankees ended up losing. They did.
understand it because they’re not coming to watch the other team
anymore, they’re coming to watch the Rangers. I feel like we should be
a packed house every night in September and we’ll have a lot of fun and
this team is a lot of fun to watch.”
– Ian Kinsler wonders why the Ballpark at Arlington isn’t more packed. By the way, the Rangers rank 17th in home attendance with an average of 27,589 fans per game.
don’t see us giving up any key building blocks going forward at this
stage of the game. I’m pretty optimistic that we’re going to be able to
acquire guys that are going to be meaningful improvements for us
without having to sacrifice key guys.”
– Andy McPhail doesn’t foresee the Orioles giving up any of their top prospects to acquire a bat like Adrian Gonzalez over the winter.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)