Sep 12, 2009, 1:47 PM EDT
“We’ve had some dramatic games since
the end of May, but that one right there goes to the top of the list.
We’re down to a swing, and the interesting thing about it is the guy
who is one of the hottest hitters on our club is the guy at bat. What
an at-bat he had there in that situation.”
- Rockies manager Jim Tracy marvels at his club’s latest improbable comeback,
this time over the Padres on Friday night. The Rockies have won eight
straight games, extending their lead in the National League Wild Card
race to 5 1/2 games entering play on Saturday.
“It’s a good thing I’m doing these interviews before we found out. I can still smile right now, right?”
- Derek Jeter speaks with reporters during a rain delay after passing Lou Gehrig on the Yankees’ all-time hit list. Jeter was asked whether the moment would be soured if the Yankees ended up losing. They did.
understand it because they’re not coming to watch the other team
anymore, they’re coming to watch the Rangers. I feel like we should be
a packed house every night in September and we’ll have a lot of fun and
this team is a lot of fun to watch.”
- Ian Kinsler wonders why the Ballpark at Arlington isn’t more packed. By the way, the Rangers rank 17th in home attendance with an average of 27,589 fans per game.
don’t see us giving up any key building blocks going forward at this
stage of the game. I’m pretty optimistic that we’re going to be able to
acquire guys that are going to be meaningful improvements for us
without having to sacrifice key guys.”
- Andy McPhail doesn’t foresee the Orioles giving up any of their top prospects to acquire a bat like Adrian Gonzalez over the winter.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)