Sep 12, 2009, 1:47 PM EDT
“We’ve had some dramatic games since
the end of May, but that one right there goes to the top of the list.
We’re down to a swing, and the interesting thing about it is the guy
who is one of the hottest hitters on our club is the guy at bat. What
an at-bat he had there in that situation.”
– Rockies manager Jim Tracy marvels at his club’s latest improbable comeback,
this time over the Padres on Friday night. The Rockies have won eight
straight games, extending their lead in the National League Wild Card
race to 5 1/2 games entering play on Saturday.
“It’s a good thing I’m doing these interviews before we found out. I can still smile right now, right?”
– Derek Jeter speaks with reporters during a rain delay after passing Lou Gehrig on the Yankees’ all-time hit list. Jeter was asked whether the moment would be soured if the Yankees ended up losing. They did.
understand it because they’re not coming to watch the other team
anymore, they’re coming to watch the Rangers. I feel like we should be
a packed house every night in September and we’ll have a lot of fun and
this team is a lot of fun to watch.”
– Ian Kinsler wonders why the Ballpark at Arlington isn’t more packed. By the way, the Rangers rank 17th in home attendance with an average of 27,589 fans per game.
don’t see us giving up any key building blocks going forward at this
stage of the game. I’m pretty optimistic that we’re going to be able to
acquire guys that are going to be meaningful improvements for us
without having to sacrifice key guys.”
– Andy McPhail doesn’t foresee the Orioles giving up any of their top prospects to acquire a bat like Adrian Gonzalez over the winter.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 56
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 95
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)