Sep 12, 2009, 1:47 PM EST
“We’ve had some dramatic games since
the end of May, but that one right there goes to the top of the list.
We’re down to a swing, and the interesting thing about it is the guy
who is one of the hottest hitters on our club is the guy at bat. What
an at-bat he had there in that situation.”
– Rockies manager Jim Tracy marvels at his club’s latest improbable comeback,
this time over the Padres on Friday night. The Rockies have won eight
straight games, extending their lead in the National League Wild Card
race to 5 1/2 games entering play on Saturday.
“It’s a good thing I’m doing these interviews before we found out. I can still smile right now, right?”
– Derek Jeter speaks with reporters during a rain delay after passing Lou Gehrig on the Yankees’ all-time hit list. Jeter was asked whether the moment would be soured if the Yankees ended up losing. They did.
understand it because they’re not coming to watch the other team
anymore, they’re coming to watch the Rangers. I feel like we should be
a packed house every night in September and we’ll have a lot of fun and
this team is a lot of fun to watch.”
- Ian Kinsler wonders why the Ballpark at Arlington isn’t more packed. By the way, the Rangers rank 17th in home attendance with an average of 27,589 fans per game.
don’t see us giving up any key building blocks going forward at this
stage of the game. I’m pretty optimistic that we’re going to be able to
acquire guys that are going to be meaningful improvements for us
without having to sacrifice key guys.”
- Andy McPhail doesn’t foresee the Orioles giving up any of their top prospects to acquire a bat like Adrian Gonzalez over the winter.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)