Sep 14, 2009, 12:49 PM EDT
* Roy Oswalt complained of back spasms after getting rocked for six runs on 10 hits in two innings last week, but remains on track to make his scheduled Tuesday start.
“He’s going to go on Tuesday,” manager Cecil Cooper said. “We’ll have a backup plan, but that’s the day he’s going to go.” Oswalt posted the worst ERA of his career last season at 3.54 and through 176.1 innings this year’s mark is 4.03.
* Padres prospect Cory Luebke took a no-hitter into the eighth inning yesterday as the United States defeated Canada in the second round of the World Cup.
* Chico Harlan of the Washington Post recently caught up with Dmitri Young, who has basically made $5 million to do absolutely nothing this season and has enjoyed every minute of it.
* James Shields, after the Rays dropped their 11th straight game: “It’s embarrassing. It is. It’s embarrassing. Eleven straight losses are embarrassing. It’s not fun right now. We’ve got to play better baseball from here on out. I don’t care if we’re in the race or not. We’ve got to at least end our season on a high note.”
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)