Sep 14, 2009, 12:49 PM EDT
* Roy Oswalt complained of back spasms after getting rocked for six runs on 10 hits in two innings last week, but remains on track to make his scheduled Tuesday start.
“He’s going to go on Tuesday,” manager Cecil Cooper said. “We’ll have a backup plan, but that’s the day he’s going to go.” Oswalt posted the worst ERA of his career last season at 3.54 and through 176.1 innings this year’s mark is 4.03.
* Padres prospect Cory Luebke took a no-hitter into the eighth inning yesterday as the United States defeated Canada in the second round of the World Cup.
* Chico Harlan of the Washington Post recently caught up with Dmitri Young, who has basically made $5 million to do absolutely nothing this season and has enjoyed every minute of it.
* James Shields, after the Rays dropped their 11th straight game: “It’s embarrassing. It is. It’s embarrassing. Eleven straight losses are embarrassing. It’s not fun right now. We’ve got to play better baseball from here on out. I don’t care if we’re in the race or not. We’ve got to at least end our season on a high note.”
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)