Sep 14, 2009, 12:49 PM EST
* Roy Oswalt complained of back spasms after getting rocked for six runs on 10 hits in two innings last week, but remains on track to make his scheduled Tuesday start.
“He’s going to go on Tuesday,” manager Cecil Cooper said. “We’ll have a backup plan, but that’s the day he’s going to go.” Oswalt posted the worst ERA of his career last season at 3.54 and through 176.1 innings this year’s mark is 4.03.
* Padres prospect Cory Luebke took a no-hitter into the eighth inning yesterday as the United States defeated Canada in the second round of the World Cup.
* Chico Harlan of the Washington Post recently caught up with Dmitri Young, who has basically made $5 million to do absolutely nothing this season and has enjoyed every minute of it.
* James Shields, after the Rays dropped their 11th straight game: “It’s embarrassing. It is. It’s embarrassing. Eleven straight losses are embarrassing. It’s not fun right now. We’ve got to play better baseball from here on out. I don’t care if we’re in the race or not. We’ve got to at least end our season on a high note.”
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 4
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 291
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (292)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)