Sep 14, 2009, 4:28 PM EST
- The teams with the two best records in baseball are set to play tonight, as the Angels travel to Yankee Stadium for a makeup game. Jered Weaver, who is 15-5 with 3.76 ERA, will be opposed by three-inning starter Joba Chamberlain. The Angels currently trail the Yankees by five games as the two vie for home-field advantage throughout the postseason, but it’s just four in the loss column and the two teams do play three more times in Anaheim next week. The Angels are 4-2 versus the Bombers this season.
– Scott Feldman aims for an eighth straight win as the Rangers take on the A’s. He’s allowed just one run over 26 1/3 innings in his last four starts, taking his ERA from 4.06 to 3.46. That he’ll finish outside of the top 10 and perhaps out of the top 20 in the AL in innings pitched should rule him out as a legitimate Cy Young contender, but he’s as responsible as anyone for the Rangers’ current placement in the standings.
Game of the Night
Colorado vs. San Francisco – After picking up a game Sunday, the Giants are back to within 4 1/2 games of the Rockies in the wild card. Still, it would seem that they pretty much have to win two of three games as the teams play for the final time this year this week in San Francisco. This is the most favorable matchup for the series for the Giants, as Tim Lincecum will be returning tonight after missing one start due to back spasms. Rockies starter Jason Hammel, though, has a 2.65 ERA in three outings against the Giants this year and is 6-4 with a 2.93 ERA outside of Coors Field.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)