Sep 15, 2009, 6:07 PM EDT
The news couldn’t have been much worse for Mike Hampton on Tuesday, as the free-agent-to-be was diagnosed with a completely torn rotator cuff during surgery. He also needed work done on his labrum, and he’s expected to miss all of 2010.
Before going down in mid-August, Hampton had made 21 starts this year, his highest total since 2004. Still, he wasn’t very impressive in compiling a 7-10 record with a 5.30 ERA and a 1.55 WHIP. The Astros figured to have only limited interest in re-signing him for 2010. He probably would have had to compete for a rotation spot wherever he ended up.
Now he’ll miss what would have been his age-37 season, putting him in the unenviable position of attempting a comeback at 38. He was still getting pretty good movement this season on his sinking and cutting fastballs, but his velocity has declined with age and his once formidable slider has disappeared from his arsenal.
This could well be the end of the line for the one-time 22-game winner. Unfortunately, he will likely be remembered less for his status as one of the game’s best left-handers in the second half of the ’90s than for the hideous return he provided the Rockies on the eight-year, $121 million contract he agreed to after the 2000 season. It still ranks as the 13th-biggest contract ever signed by a major leaguer and fourth-biggest for a pitcher.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)