Sep 15, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT
The Cubs have been out of the race for a couple of weeks now, but the first thing I did when I woke up this morning was check the score of the Rockies game. The Cubs won 2-0 last night behind Ryan Dempster and a defense that has improved markedly since the shelving of Alfonso Soriano. A Rockies loss to the Giants, and the Cubs gnaw their way to within 6 1/2 games of a wild card berth with 19 games to play . . . A few more wins and a couple of Rockies losses, and the Cubs are right back in it. Marmol is lights out, and the starters are all throwing it great right now. The Cubs won their last 21 games to win the 1935 pennant you know. Anything can happen.
It’ll never happen, of course. The Cubs are simply not a good team this year and there are too many teams ahead of them for the Cubs to take advantage of a Rockies’ swoon.
Yet there’s hope, however delusional. And to be fair, the author — Kent Sterling of Indianapolis’ ESPN radio affiliate — admits that he’s crazy for even thinking it. Still, you gotta love this kind of stuff. Such optimism is truly one of the defining traits of baseball. A function of there being so many damn games. A function of there being so much damn history.
It’s impossible, sure. But the impossible has happened in baseball before, and it’s that kind of thing that keeps fans coming back even in the waning days of an otherwise lost Cubs season.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld