Sep 15, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com reports that “the Cubs have begun talks with left-handed pitcher John Grabow on a two-year contract extension.”
An impending free agent who was acquired from the Pirates just before the July 31 trading deadline, Grabow has a 2.41 ERA and 12/11 K/BB ratio in 18.2 innings for the Cubs. Lou Piniella announced yesterday that Carlos Marmol will be the Cubs’ full-time closer next season, so Grabow would be his primary setup man from the left side.
* Pedro Martinez is feeling so good after beginning his Phillies career 5-0 with a 2.87 ERA that he’s planning to pitch in the Dominican Winter League for the first time in 15 years.
* Among all hitters with at least 1,000 plate appearances since the beginning of last season, there are 12 with a .300 batting average and .375 on-base percentage. The first 11 contain zero surprises: Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez, Joe Mauer, Hanley Ramirez, Chipper Jones, Kevin Youkilis, Matt Holliday, Miguel Cabrera, David Wright, Nick Markakis, and Derek Jeter. The last guy? Well, he might surprise you.
* Trey Hillman thinks that people ought to stop judging the Royals on their horrible win-loss record, bad pitching, punchless hitting, and sloppy defense, and start judging them on their attitude. On a related note, I’m of the opinion that women ought to stop judging men on their looks, personality, money, sense of humor, and status in life, and start judging them on their ability to write pithy blog entries about the Royals.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)