Sep 15, 2009, 11:50 AM EST
* Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com reports that “the Cubs have begun talks with left-handed pitcher John Grabow on a two-year contract extension.”
An impending free agent who was acquired from the Pirates just before the July 31 trading deadline, Grabow has a 2.41 ERA and 12/11 K/BB ratio in 18.2 innings for the Cubs. Lou Piniella announced yesterday that Carlos Marmol will be the Cubs’ full-time closer next season, so Grabow would be his primary setup man from the left side.
* Pedro Martinez is feeling so good after beginning his Phillies career 5-0 with a 2.87 ERA that he’s planning to pitch in the Dominican Winter League for the first time in 15 years.
* Among all hitters with at least 1,000 plate appearances since the beginning of last season, there are 12 with a .300 batting average and .375 on-base percentage. The first 11 contain zero surprises: Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez, Joe Mauer, Hanley Ramirez, Chipper Jones, Kevin Youkilis, Matt Holliday, Miguel Cabrera, David Wright, Nick Markakis, and Derek Jeter. The last guy? Well, he might surprise you.
* Trey Hillman thinks that people ought to stop judging the Royals on their horrible win-loss record, bad pitching, punchless hitting, and sloppy defense, and start judging them on their attitude. On a related note, I’m of the opinion that women ought to stop judging men on their looks, personality, money, sense of humor, and status in life, and start judging them on their ability to write pithy blog entries about the Royals.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 43
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 57
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 45
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)