Sep 15, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
Someone tell me, because I always get this mixed up: are you supposed to stand during George Gershwin songs too, or only Irving Berlin songs? And what if a ballpark starts playing Neil Diamond’s “America” during the stretch? Does that require standing? So confusing . . .
In a lawsuit filed last week in federal court in Newark, three Millburn High School students contend Newark Bears president and co-owner Thomas Cetnar berated them, cursed at them and then booted them from the ballpark after they failed to stand for the song during the seventh-inning stretch.
“Nobody sits during the singing of ‘God Bless America’ in my stadium,'” Cetnar bellowed during the June 29 incident, according to the suit. “Now the get the (expletive) out of here.”
The problem, bunk, is that it’s not your stadium. It was built and is owned by Newark and Essex County, New Jersey. I can kick people out of my house if they don’t stand during “Coward of the County” by Kenny Rogers, because that’s the kind of thing that pisses me off. However, when governmental entities are involved, well, that’s a big problem, what with that First Amendment and all. Just ask the Yankees.
How about this: Let’s play “Take me out to the ballgame” during the seventh inning stretch, thereby avoiding all of these arguments.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)