Sep 15, 2009, 12:40 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen, on what he’s seen from Alex Rios since the White Sox claimed him off waivers last month:
What have I seen from Rios? A lot of outs. The only batting ninth guy making $5 million was me. This mother [bleeper] is making $10, $12, $14 million, he ain’t going to be batting ninth [in 2010]. I’m going to make sure he earns his money. But right now I have to put him there because he’s struggling. Next year, if we have Rios batting ninth we’re in deep [bleep] once again.
Many people criticized the White Sox for assuming the remaining $60 million on Rios’ contract because his offensive production has never been great and he was slumping at the time of the move, but my take was that his excellent defense combined with solid offense made him an underrated all-around player in his prime who could definitely be worth $12 million per season going forward.
Of course, since the waiver claim Rios has gone 13-for-93 (.140) with a ghastly 23/2 K/BB ratio and no amount of great defense makes up for that type of “hitting.” White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker said recently that Rios “has now become overwhelmed with mechanical problems” in an effort to snap out of his funk and Rios noted that he’s hoping “to just wipe things away and get a fresh start next year, just simplify things.”
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 20
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 17
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)