Sep 16, 2009, 11:28 AM EDT
* Randy Johnson is officially off the disabled list and in the Giants’ bullpen, with San Francisco creating a spot for him by shutting down reliever Justin Miller for the season.
Prior to an elbow injury the 31-year-old Miller had the best season of his career, logging 56.2 innings with a 3.18 ERA and .236 opponents’ batting average.
* Rangers prospect and 2008 first-round pick Justin Smoak homered yesterday for the sixth time in five World Cup games as the United States defeated Japan.
* Alyson Footer of MLB.com reports that Astros reliever Tim Byrdak has a man-crush on, of all people, Nick Lachey. Despite that, the 35-year-old Byrdak has a 2.87 ERA and 50/28 K/BB ratio in 53.1 innings this season.
* Peter Abraham of the New York Journal News notes that Nick Swisher is dating actress Joanna Garcia from Gossip Girls, adding: “That’s not good news for you ladies out there who like bad haircuts and a high on-base percentage.”
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 0
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)