Sep 16, 2009, 11:28 AM EDT
* Randy Johnson is officially off the disabled list and in the Giants’ bullpen, with San Francisco creating a spot for him by shutting down reliever Justin Miller for the season.
Prior to an elbow injury the 31-year-old Miller had the best season of his career, logging 56.2 innings with a 3.18 ERA and .236 opponents’ batting average.
* Rangers prospect and 2008 first-round pick Justin Smoak homered yesterday for the sixth time in five World Cup games as the United States defeated Japan.
* Alyson Footer of MLB.com reports that Astros reliever Tim Byrdak has a man-crush on, of all people, Nick Lachey. Despite that, the 35-year-old Byrdak has a 2.87 ERA and 50/28 K/BB ratio in 53.1 innings this season.
* Peter Abraham of the New York Journal News notes that Nick Swisher is dating actress Joanna Garcia from Gossip Girls, adding: “That’s not good news for you ladies out there who like bad haircuts and a high on-base percentage.”
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (202)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)