Sep 16, 2009, 11:28 AM EDT
* Randy Johnson is officially off the disabled list and in the Giants’ bullpen, with San Francisco creating a spot for him by shutting down reliever Justin Miller for the season.
Prior to an elbow injury the 31-year-old Miller had the best season of his career, logging 56.2 innings with a 3.18 ERA and .236 opponents’ batting average.
* Rangers prospect and 2008 first-round pick Justin Smoak homered yesterday for the sixth time in five World Cup games as the United States defeated Japan.
* Alyson Footer of MLB.com reports that Astros reliever Tim Byrdak has a man-crush on, of all people, Nick Lachey. Despite that, the 35-year-old Byrdak has a 2.87 ERA and 50/28 K/BB ratio in 53.1 innings this season.
* Peter Abraham of the New York Journal News notes that Nick Swisher is dating actress Joanna Garcia from Gossip Girls, adding: “That’s not good news for you ladies out there who like bad haircuts and a high on-base percentage.”
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 5
- What Bryan Price’s rant was really all about 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 30
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)