Sep 16, 2009, 11:28 AM EST
* Randy Johnson is officially off the disabled list and in the Giants’ bullpen, with San Francisco creating a spot for him by shutting down reliever Justin Miller for the season.
Prior to an elbow injury the 31-year-old Miller had the best season of his career, logging 56.2 innings with a 3.18 ERA and .236 opponents’ batting average.
* Rangers prospect and 2008 first-round pick Justin Smoak homered yesterday for the sixth time in five World Cup games as the United States defeated Japan.
* Alyson Footer of MLB.com reports that Astros reliever Tim Byrdak has a man-crush on, of all people, Nick Lachey. Despite that, the 35-year-old Byrdak has a 2.87 ERA and 50/28 K/BB ratio in 53.1 innings this season.
* Peter Abraham of the New York Journal News notes that Nick Swisher is dating actress Joanna Garcia from Gossip Girls, adding: “That’s not good news for you ladies out there who like bad haircuts and a high on-base percentage.”
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)