Sep 16, 2009, 3:00 PM EDT
* Bartolo Colon has been reasonably effective when healthy enough to pitch this season, posting a 4.19 ERA in 12 starts, but has been sidelined since late July with an elbow injury and went AWOL on multiple occasions while rehabbing in the minors.
This afternoon the White Sox released the 36-year-old former Cy Young winner after signing him to a one-year, $1 million deal this offseason.
* Andre Ethier’s homer in the 13th inning last night was his sixth walk-off hit of the season. Ethier is now batting .333/.472/.649 with four homers, six doubles, 13 walks, and 17 RBIs in 72 plate appearances from the ninth inning on. Not surprisingly he trails only Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder in Win Probability Added.
* With last night’s long ball David Ortiz moved past Frank Thomas for the all-time lead in homers at designated hitter with 270. Edgar Martinez is third on the list with 243, followed by Harold Baines at 236 and Don Baylor at 216. Ortiz has just 43 homers as a non-DH, while Thomas has 252.
* After having season-ending elbow surgery last week Grady Sizemore went under the knife again this morning “to reinforce an unstable abdominal wall.”
* Kevin Youkilis’ back spasms and Victor Martinez’s undisclosed personal issue will keep them both out of the Red Sox’s lineup again tonight.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)