Sep 16, 2009, 3:00 PM EDT
* Bartolo Colon has been reasonably effective when healthy enough to pitch this season, posting a 4.19 ERA in 12 starts, but has been sidelined since late July with an elbow injury and went AWOL on multiple occasions while rehabbing in the minors.
This afternoon the White Sox released the 36-year-old former Cy Young winner after signing him to a one-year, $1 million deal this offseason.
* Andre Ethier’s homer in the 13th inning last night was his sixth walk-off hit of the season. Ethier is now batting .333/.472/.649 with four homers, six doubles, 13 walks, and 17 RBIs in 72 plate appearances from the ninth inning on. Not surprisingly he trails only Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder in Win Probability Added.
* With last night’s long ball David Ortiz moved past Frank Thomas for the all-time lead in homers at designated hitter with 270. Edgar Martinez is third on the list with 243, followed by Harold Baines at 236 and Don Baylor at 216. Ortiz has just 43 homers as a non-DH, while Thomas has 252.
* After having season-ending elbow surgery last week Grady Sizemore went under the knife again this morning “to reinforce an unstable abdominal wall.”
* Kevin Youkilis’ back spasms and Victor Martinez’s undisclosed personal issue will keep them both out of the Red Sox’s lineup again tonight.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 7
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)