Sep 16, 2009, 3:00 PM EST
* Bartolo Colon has been reasonably effective when healthy enough to pitch this season, posting a 4.19 ERA in 12 starts, but has been sidelined since late July with an elbow injury and went AWOL on multiple occasions while rehabbing in the minors.
This afternoon the White Sox released the 36-year-old former Cy Young winner after signing him to a one-year, $1 million deal this offseason.
* Andre Ethier’s homer in the 13th inning last night was his sixth walk-off hit of the season. Ethier is now batting .333/.472/.649 with four homers, six doubles, 13 walks, and 17 RBIs in 72 plate appearances from the ninth inning on. Not surprisingly he trails only Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder in Win Probability Added.
* With last night’s long ball David Ortiz moved past Frank Thomas for the all-time lead in homers at designated hitter with 270. Edgar Martinez is third on the list with 243, followed by Harold Baines at 236 and Don Baylor at 216. Ortiz has just 43 homers as a non-DH, while Thomas has 252.
* After having season-ending elbow surgery last week Grady Sizemore went under the knife again this morning “to reinforce an unstable abdominal wall.”
* Kevin Youkilis’ back spasms and Victor Martinez’s undisclosed personal issue will keep them both out of the Red Sox’s lineup again tonight.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 9
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)