Sep 16, 2009, 4:37 PM EDT
According to the New York Daily News, both Jorge Posada and Blue Jays reliever Jesse Carlson have received four-game suspensions for their actions that started a brawl Tuesday.
Posada’s penalty is clearly the harsher of the two, even if the time off is the same. Position players, starting pitchers and relievers are all treated differently when it comes to handing out suspensions, and if the league office had thought Carlson was as much at fault as Posada, he would have faced a longer ban.
As is, the penalties seem fair. Posada didn’t set off the brawl directly, so he doesn’t get quite the five- or six-game penalty that’s usually handed out to players who charge the mound. Still, he practically forced Carlson to respond when he delivered the quick shove after crossing home plate.
6:30 pm update – It now appears as though both Posada and Carlson will serve three-game suspensions, with the condition being that neither will appeal. That follows a common trend that’s developed these last couple of years: if the players decline to contend suspensions in a hearing, they’ll usually get a game knocked off, which is the best they can typically hope for in a hearing anyway. Both players will be begin serving their suspensions tonight.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)