Sep 17, 2009, 9:27 PM EDT
The sale of the Chicago Cubs has hit a road block.
Former Cubs shortstop Shawon Dunston, a two-time All-Star, has filed an objection to the sale of the team to the family of billionaire Joe Ricketts, claiming that the team still owes him college scholarship money.
In a handwritten, one-paragraph statement docketed by the court Thursday, Dunston said he was objecting to the sale because the Cubs owe him college scholarship funds, which he has not used.
Well obviously he never used it, as it’s difficult to use something you don’t have. The Tribune Co. was too busy using that money to not save the newspaper industry.
Baseballreference.com estimates that Dunston made more than $24 million in his 17-year career, so I’m pretty sure he can afford college. Maybe not one of those fancy private schools where they make you wear a jacket with a crest on it, but any state university ought to be within reach.
That being said, baseball owners tend to walk around in loafers with million-dollar bills stuffed inside for padding. So come on, give Dunston his money. Let the guy go to school. He just wants to learn.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)