Sep 17, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* Brewers owner Mark Attanasio said yesterday that speculation about general manager Doug Melvin’s job being in jeopardy is “ridiculous.” On the other hand, manager Ken Macha’s job seems far less secure.
* Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Royals are close to signing first-round pick Aaron Crow, who was exempt from the normal August deadline because he left college and played in an independent league while holding out after being drafted in 2008.
* Gavin Floyd left yesterday’s start after two innings and will miss his next turn in the rotation because of a lingering hip injury. Ozzie Guillen has indicated that the White Sox may simply shut Floyd down for the season.
* A double-digit losing streak putting the team in danger of finishing below .500 after going to the World Series the previous season tends to create some clubhouse tension.
* At this point, hopefully Tim McCarver sings better than he announces.
* In the wake of Bartolo Colon being released by the White Sox yesterday, Arlington Heights Daily Herald beat reporter Scot Gregor calls him “one of the stranger guys I’ve run across in Major League Baseball.” Not mentioned, of course, is that he’s also one of the sexiest.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 0
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 22
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 36
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 45
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL