Sep 17, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* Brewers owner Mark Attanasio said yesterday that speculation about general manager Doug Melvin’s job being in jeopardy is “ridiculous.” On the other hand, manager Ken Macha’s job seems far less secure.
* Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Royals are close to signing first-round pick Aaron Crow, who was exempt from the normal August deadline because he left college and played in an independent league while holding out after being drafted in 2008.
* Gavin Floyd left yesterday’s start after two innings and will miss his next turn in the rotation because of a lingering hip injury. Ozzie Guillen has indicated that the White Sox may simply shut Floyd down for the season.
* A double-digit losing streak putting the team in danger of finishing below .500 after going to the World Series the previous season tends to create some clubhouse tension.
* At this point, hopefully Tim McCarver sings better than he announces.
* In the wake of Bartolo Colon being released by the White Sox yesterday, Arlington Heights Daily Herald beat reporter Scot Gregor calls him “one of the stranger guys I’ve run across in Major League Baseball.” Not mentioned, of course, is that he’s also one of the sexiest.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11