Sep 17, 2009, 11:47 AM EST
* Brewers owner Mark Attanasio said yesterday that speculation about general manager Doug Melvin’s job being in jeopardy is “ridiculous.” On the other hand, manager Ken Macha’s job seems far less secure.
* Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Royals are close to signing first-round pick Aaron Crow, who was exempt from the normal August deadline because he left college and played in an independent league while holding out after being drafted in 2008.
* Gavin Floyd left yesterday’s start after two innings and will miss his next turn in the rotation because of a lingering hip injury. Ozzie Guillen has indicated that the White Sox may simply shut Floyd down for the season.
* A double-digit losing streak putting the team in danger of finishing below .500 after going to the World Series the previous season tends to create some clubhouse tension.
* At this point, hopefully Tim McCarver sings better than he announces.
* In the wake of Bartolo Colon being released by the White Sox yesterday, Arlington Heights Daily Herald beat reporter Scot Gregor calls him “one of the stranger guys I’ve run across in Major League Baseball.” Not mentioned, of course, is that he’s also one of the sexiest.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)