Sep 17, 2009, 3:22 PM EDT
* Due a big raise this offseason via arbitration, Dan Uggla indicated yesterday that he expects the Marlins to trade him. Uggla isn’t much of a defender at second base, but the former Rule 5 pick has posted an OPS above .800 in each of his four seasons in Florida while going deep 27, 31, 32, and now 29 times.
* Rich Harden lasted just three innings in yesterday’s start and is now the latest big-name pitcher to be shut down, perhaps for the remainder of the season. Harden may end up hitting the open market if the Cubs decline to offer him arbitration this winter.
* Struggling for the first time this season, Padres closer Heath Bell decided to change his luck by shaving off the goatee that he’s had for five years. His wife “loved the change,” but as Bell explains his 7-year-old daughter had a slightly different reaction: “She took one look at me and said, ‘Daddy, go put your beard back on, now.’ Jordyn told me, ‘Daddy, I’m mad at you this is going to make me cry.’”
* So Taguchi literally didn’t pick up the phone when the Cubs called him up Wednesday night. “I don’t have any friends in Chicago, so I thought it was a wrong number,” Taguchi said. “So I just ignored it for maybe two hours.”
* As usual, The Onion hits the nail on the head: “Derek Jeter Honored For Having Fewer Hits Than Harold Baines.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32