Sep 17, 2009, 3:22 PM EST
* Due a big raise this offseason via arbitration, Dan Uggla indicated yesterday that he expects the Marlins to trade him. Uggla isn’t much of a defender at second base, but the former Rule 5 pick has posted an OPS above .800 in each of his four seasons in Florida while going deep 27, 31, 32, and now 29 times.
* Rich Harden lasted just three innings in yesterday’s start and is now the latest big-name pitcher to be shut down, perhaps for the remainder of the season. Harden may end up hitting the open market if the Cubs decline to offer him arbitration this winter.
* Struggling for the first time this season, Padres closer Heath Bell decided to change his luck by shaving off the goatee that he’s had for five years. His wife “loved the change,” but as Bell explains his 7-year-old daughter had a slightly different reaction: “She took one look at me and said, ‘Daddy, go put your beard back on, now.’ Jordyn told me, ‘Daddy, I’m mad at you this is going to make me cry.’”
* So Taguchi literally didn’t pick up the phone when the Cubs called him up Wednesday night. “I don’t have any friends in Chicago, so I thought it was a wrong number,” Taguchi said. “So I just ignored it for maybe two hours.”
* As usual, The Onion hits the nail on the head: “Derek Jeter Honored For Having Fewer Hits Than Harold Baines.”
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 44
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)