Sep 17, 2009, 12:38 PM EDT
J.A. Happ is now slated to rejoin the Phillies’ rotation tomorrow against the Braves after testing his oblique injury with a 20-pitch bullpen session yesterday. Happ, who came out of relative nowhere to go 8-4 with a 2.81 ERA in 19 starts as a 26-year-old rookie, has missed back-to-back turns in the rotation.
On the other hand, Philadelphia manager Charlie Manuel speculated yesterday that Chan Ho Park “is probably going to be down a while” because of a hamstring injury. Park has been a key member of the bullpen since being dumped from the rotation in mid-May, logging 49 innings with a 2.57 ERA, 52/16 K/BB ratio, and .235 opponents’ batting average as a reliever. His availability for the postseason may be in doubt.
And while we’re on the subject of the Phillies’ pitching staff, consider this stat: Since joining Philadelphia’s rotation Cliff Lee and Pedro Martinez have combined to go 12-2 with a 2.74 ERA and 94/15 K/BB ratio in 101.2 innings spread over in 16 starts.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)