Sep 17, 2009, 8:50 AM EST
That business the Cubs do with having a celebrity sing “Take me out to the ballgame” and then sit in the booth to be interviewed afterwards? Yeah, they should probably ditch that. Ladies and gentlemen, Richard Dreyfuss:
The guy admitted he had not watched a game since 1988. He had no idea Bill Murray was a Cubs fan. And, he rambled on about how screwed up our country is. Just what we want to hear while watching America’s Pastime.
If you missed it, here’s some of the transcript:
…Dreyfuss: If you had asked me, I would have [played center field]. Absolutely. Better than Manny Rodriguez.
[Loud, hearty laughter from Kasper and Brenly]
Kasper: Who’s Manny Rodriguez?
This was no boating accident. It was a train wreck.
I’m sure the Cubs have a tape of Harry Caray singing the song somewhere. Why don’t they just play that and dispense with this nonsense already?
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)