Richard Dreyfuss: "I would have played centerfield better than Manny Rodriguez"

Sep 17, 2009, 8:50 AM EST

That business the Cubs do with having a celebrity sing “Take me out to the ballgame” and then sit in the booth to be interviewed afterwards?  Yeah, they should probably ditch that.  Ladies and gentlemen, Richard Dreyfuss:

The guy admitted he had not watched a game since 1988. He had no idea Bill Murray was a Cubs fan. And, he rambled on about how screwed up our country is. Just what we want to hear while watching America’s Pastime.

If you missed it, here’s some of the transcript:

…Dreyfuss: If you had asked me, I would have [played center field]. Absolutely. Better than Manny Rodriguez.

[Loud, hearty laughter from Kasper and Brenly]
Kasper: Who’s Manny Rodriguez?

This was no boating accident.  It was a train wreck.

I’m sure the Cubs have a tape of Harry Caray singing the song somewhere.  Why don’t they just play that and dispense with this nonsense already?

1. luke bean - Sep 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM

hey Craig – get a sense of humor!

2. Tom W - Sep 17, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Craig Calcaterra hasn’t seen comedy since 1988.

3. Jeff K - Sep 17, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Manny is a Puto Rican bitch.

4. baseball fan - Sep 17, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Craig obviously doesn’t understand the point of having guests perform the 7th inning stretch @ a cubs game. You have just revealed your ignorance and no sense of humor. Get off your high horse. You take yourself to seriously.

5. Joe M. - Sep 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM

The “stars” do radio 1/2 inning before the TV spot. He was even worst ( if you can believe that’s even possible) in that. He proved himself to be a typical Hollywood fool.

6. Mark C - Sep 17, 2009 at 12:17 PM

**** You have just revealed your ignorance and no sense of humor. ****
    If you think there was anything humorous in that train wreck, I just feel sorry for you.

7. Mark C - Sep 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM

**** You have just revealed your ignorance and no sense of humor. ****

8. Vinny - Sep 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Dreyfuss is a left wing Hollywood idiot hack, just like Fonda, Penn, Ford, Springsteen, etc., etc., etc…..

9. Dan Friedman - Sep 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I kind of dislike this tradition, but even I have to admit, that’s pretty freakin’ hilarious. I’d keep the tradition around if only for gems like that one!

10. Sean - Sep 17, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Dryfuss is a tool.
    If he keeps packing on the lbs he'[ll be a shoo in to play Don Zimmer in the near future.
    Gosh, it would be nice if you Lib Hacks stuck to things like Global warming and gay rights instead of perpetually embarasiing yourself with comentary on issues and topics you know NOTHING about.
    “Voice no strong opinons on subjects you know nothing of.”
    -Ben Franklin

11. John Willumsen - Sep 17, 2009 at 1:18 PM

@ Dan Friedman: I admire your stance. I admire your bravery in taking your stance. I admire the cut of your jib is basically what I’m getting at here.
    @ Craig: You’re a tool. You’re the tooliest tool who ever tooled around Toolville, ya tool. Sure you’re clever, insightful and decent, but gosh darn it sometimes you criticize things and sometimes you dare to even mention the Yankees or Red Sox. Anyway in summation, I’m a tool. Uhh you’re a tool.

12. Simon DelMonte - Sep 17, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Richard Dreyfus…wasn’t he that French officer framed for treason because he was Jewish? I didn’t know he was still alive. Cool.

13. scatterbrian - Sep 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM

@luke bean, Tom W, baseball fan:
    Can one of you explain how Dreyfuss’s interview was funny?

14. Mike - Sep 17, 2009 at 3:47 PM

The only thing more embarrassing than the Cubs 7th inning crapfest are the Cubs themselves!

15. amber-heels@live.co.uk - Jan 4, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Hi there, cheers for this fantastic blog, a truly great beginning for the 2010, keep up the fantastic work, Angela.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4475)
  2. M. Kemp (3606)
  3. M. Cabrera (2860)
  4. M. Morse (2539)
  5. J. Kang (2415)
  1. J. Upton (2391)
  2. C. Headley (2143)
  3. A. Rios (2134)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1891)
  5. J. Peavy (1808)