Sep 17, 2009, 9:22 AM EDT
Preservationists in New York want to save Gate 2 of the old Yankee Stadium from the wrecking ball so that it may serve as a monument and/or gateway to the park that will be built on the site. The Parks Department is inclined to just smash the thing, however, leading to a fundraising push:
With the Parks Department committed to demolishing the gate, preservation proponents insisted Wednesday that rescuing the towering remnant of the Bronx ballpark was a relatively cheap and easy task.
The total cost could run about $1 million, a 10th of the estimate city officials gave for saving the slice of original Stadium architecture.
Contractors already are volunteering time for the task, and fund-raising could cover the rest, according to a press release from the Save the Yankee Gate 2 Committee.
No one is obligated to do anything in this world no matter how rich they are, but if I were one of Alex Rodriguez’s advisors, this is the sort of thing I’d be telling him to get behind if he was really interested in burnishing his image in Yankeeland.
I’m not saying he should just write a check, but even if the cost is closer to the higher, $10 million estimate by the Parks Department, one would think that A-Rod could raise that kind of money from friends with, like, a morning’s worth of phone calls.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 14
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 47
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)