Sep 17, 2009, 9:22 AM EST
Preservationists in New York want to save Gate 2 of the old Yankee Stadium from the wrecking ball so that it may serve as a monument and/or gateway to the park that will be built on the site. The Parks Department is inclined to just smash the thing, however, leading to a fundraising push:
With the Parks Department committed to demolishing the gate, preservation proponents insisted Wednesday that rescuing the towering remnant of the Bronx ballpark was a relatively cheap and easy task.
The total cost could run about $1 million, a 10th of the estimate city officials gave for saving the slice of original Stadium architecture.
Contractors already are volunteering time for the task, and fund-raising could cover the rest, according to a press release from the Save the Yankee Gate 2 Committee.
No one is obligated to do anything in this world no matter how rich they are, but if I were one of Alex Rodriguez’s advisors, this is the sort of thing I’d be telling him to get behind if he was really interested in burnishing his image in Yankeeland.
I’m not saying he should just write a check, but even if the cost is closer to the higher, $10 million estimate by the Parks Department, one would think that A-Rod could raise that kind of money from friends with, like, a morning’s worth of phone calls.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (253)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)