Sep 17, 2009, 9:22 AM EDT
Preservationists in New York want to save Gate 2 of the old Yankee Stadium from the wrecking ball so that it may serve as a monument and/or gateway to the park that will be built on the site. The Parks Department is inclined to just smash the thing, however, leading to a fundraising push:
With the Parks Department committed to demolishing the gate, preservation proponents insisted Wednesday that rescuing the towering remnant of the Bronx ballpark was a relatively cheap and easy task.
The total cost could run about $1 million, a 10th of the estimate city officials gave for saving the slice of original Stadium architecture.
Contractors already are volunteering time for the task, and fund-raising could cover the rest, according to a press release from the Save the Yankee Gate 2 Committee.
No one is obligated to do anything in this world no matter how rich they are, but if I were one of Alex Rodriguez’s advisors, this is the sort of thing I’d be telling him to get behind if he was really interested in burnishing his image in Yankeeland.
I’m not saying he should just write a check, but even if the cost is closer to the higher, $10 million estimate by the Parks Department, one would think that A-Rod could raise that kind of money from friends with, like, a morning’s worth of phone calls.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 0
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 29
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)