Sep 17, 2009, 8:20 AM EST
The former Yankee pitcher, whose career was defined by his refusal to
give up in tough situations on the baseball field, has given notice
that he will file an appeal in an attempt to revise his defamation
lawsuit against Brian McNamee, the trainer who accused Clemens of using performance-enhancing drugs . . .
“The judge’s decision is plainly correct,” McNamee’s lawyer, Ricard Emery of the Manhattan firm of Celli, Emery, Brinckerhoff & Abady, said Wednesday night.
“It looks like a desperate maneuver to provide counsel with more fees.
They’re bleeding Clemens for money.”
So then we’re all in agreement that this appeal is a good idea?
In other news, Barry Bonds and the U.S. government are set to have oral arguments today before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. This is the government’s appeal of the trial judge’s decision to throw out most of its case against Bonds. Legally speaking, that was a good decision, because almost all of the evidence they want to submit is hearsay. Given how happy the Ninth Circuit has been with the government lately, I don’t think Bonds should be all that worried.
The case against Bonds rises and falls with Greg Anderson. When he decided that he’d rather do hard time than testify, the case basically ended.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)