Sep 17, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
The former Yankee pitcher, whose career was defined by his refusal to
give up in tough situations on the baseball field, has given notice
that he will file an appeal in an attempt to revise his defamation
lawsuit against Brian McNamee, the trainer who accused Clemens of using performance-enhancing drugs . . .
“The judge’s decision is plainly correct,” McNamee’s lawyer, Ricard Emery of the Manhattan firm of Celli, Emery, Brinckerhoff & Abady, said Wednesday night.
“It looks like a desperate maneuver to provide counsel with more fees.
They’re bleeding Clemens for money.”
So then we’re all in agreement that this appeal is a good idea?
In other news, Barry Bonds and the U.S. government are set to have oral arguments today before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. This is the government’s appeal of the trial judge’s decision to throw out most of its case against Bonds. Legally speaking, that was a good decision, because almost all of the evidence they want to submit is hearsay. Given how happy the Ninth Circuit has been with the government lately, I don’t think Bonds should be all that worried.
The case against Bonds rises and falls with Greg Anderson. When he decided that he’d rather do hard time than testify, the case basically ended.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)