Sep 17, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
The former Yankee pitcher, whose career was defined by his refusal to
give up in tough situations on the baseball field, has given notice
that he will file an appeal in an attempt to revise his defamation
lawsuit against Brian McNamee, the trainer who accused Clemens of using performance-enhancing drugs . . .
“The judge’s decision is plainly correct,” McNamee’s lawyer, Ricard Emery of the Manhattan firm of Celli, Emery, Brinckerhoff & Abady, said Wednesday night.
“It looks like a desperate maneuver to provide counsel with more fees.
They’re bleeding Clemens for money.”
So then we’re all in agreement that this appeal is a good idea?
In other news, Barry Bonds and the U.S. government are set to have oral arguments today before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. This is the government’s appeal of the trial judge’s decision to throw out most of its case against Bonds. Legally speaking, that was a good decision, because almost all of the evidence they want to submit is hearsay. Given how happy the Ninth Circuit has been with the government lately, I don’t think Bonds should be all that worried.
The case against Bonds rises and falls with Greg Anderson. When he decided that he’d rather do hard time than testify, the case basically ended.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)