Sep 17, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
The former Yankee pitcher, whose career was defined by his refusal to
give up in tough situations on the baseball field, has given notice
that he will file an appeal in an attempt to revise his defamation
lawsuit against Brian McNamee, the trainer who accused Clemens of using performance-enhancing drugs . . .
“The judge’s decision is plainly correct,” McNamee’s lawyer, Ricard Emery of the Manhattan firm of Celli, Emery, Brinckerhoff & Abady, said Wednesday night.
“It looks like a desperate maneuver to provide counsel with more fees.
They’re bleeding Clemens for money.”
So then we’re all in agreement that this appeal is a good idea?
In other news, Barry Bonds and the U.S. government are set to have oral arguments today before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. This is the government’s appeal of the trial judge’s decision to throw out most of its case against Bonds. Legally speaking, that was a good decision, because almost all of the evidence they want to submit is hearsay. Given how happy the Ninth Circuit has been with the government lately, I don’t think Bonds should be all that worried.
The case against Bonds rises and falls with Greg Anderson. When he decided that he’d rather do hard time than testify, the case basically ended.
- The beauty of belief 18
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)