Sep 17, 2009, 8:20 AM EST
The former Yankee pitcher, whose career was defined by his refusal to
give up in tough situations on the baseball field, has given notice
that he will file an appeal in an attempt to revise his defamation
lawsuit against Brian McNamee, the trainer who accused Clemens of using performance-enhancing drugs . . .
“The judge’s decision is plainly correct,” McNamee’s lawyer, Ricard Emery of the Manhattan firm of Celli, Emery, Brinckerhoff & Abady, said Wednesday night.
“It looks like a desperate maneuver to provide counsel with more fees.
They’re bleeding Clemens for money.”
So then we’re all in agreement that this appeal is a good idea?
In other news, Barry Bonds and the U.S. government are set to have oral arguments today before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. This is the government’s appeal of the trial judge’s decision to throw out most of its case against Bonds. Legally speaking, that was a good decision, because almost all of the evidence they want to submit is hearsay. Given how happy the Ninth Circuit has been with the government lately, I don’t think Bonds should be all that worried.
The case against Bonds rises and falls with Greg Anderson. When he decided that he’d rather do hard time than testify, the case basically ended.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (114)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)