Sep 18, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
“Red Sox-Yankees, that’s as crazy as it gets.”
– Dodgers manager Joe Torre, doing whatever he can to support the thesis of L.A. Time writer Kevin Baxter that the Dodgers-Giants rivalry ain’t what it used to be.
Torre is damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t here. West coasters probably aren’t happy with him claiming that an east coast rivalry is the better one, but just imagine what east coasters would say if he didn’t give Red-Sox-Yankees the props they believe it deserves.
Overall, though, I don’t think that any modern rivalry can compare in tone and intensity to the rivalries of the pre-free agency period simply because the players come and go. Back in the day, most of the intensity was driven by the participants in the rivalry. These days, it’s almost completely a media-driven thing.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)