Sep 18, 2009, 8:50 AM EST
“Red Sox-Yankees, that’s as crazy as it gets.”
– Dodgers manager Joe Torre, doing whatever he can to support the thesis of L.A. Time writer Kevin Baxter that the Dodgers-Giants rivalry ain’t what it used to be.
Torre is damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t here. West coasters probably aren’t happy with him claiming that an east coast rivalry is the better one, but just imagine what east coasters would say if he didn’t give Red-Sox-Yankees the props they believe it deserves.
Overall, though, I don’t think that any modern rivalry can compare in tone and intensity to the rivalries of the pre-free agency period simply because the players come and go. Back in the day, most of the intensity was driven by the participants in the rivalry. These days, it’s almost completely a media-driven thing.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)