Sep 18, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
After taking a year to play independent league ball and avoid becoming a Washington National, Aaron Crow has signed with the Royals. The deal: a three-year Major League contract that guarantees $3 million and could be worth $4.5 million if he reaches the big leagues.
Last year he was picked ninth. Without a slot to dictate these sorts of things it’s hard to tell what he would have gotten, but it’s worth noting that, generally speaking the guys picked in his neighborhood in 2008 received bonuses in the $2-2.6 million range. The Nationals reportedly offered him $3.5 million.
Upshot: he moved from a bad organization to a worse one, and cost himself half a million bucks and a year’s development time. You’re never sad when someone makes you a millionaire, but I have to think that the holdout wasn’t worth it.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 23
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (120)