Sep 19, 2009, 6:41 PM EDT
– We’ve seen plenty of stops and starts, but the time has finally come. Jake Peavy is moments away from making his White Sox debut against the Royals.
Too bad the start doesn’t mean anything, as the White Sox have lost
three in a row, unable to take advantage of the Tigers’ recent
struggles. Of course, the White Sox acquired Peavy from the Padres in
exchange for a boatload of prospects at the deadline. While general manager Ken Williams made quite a splash with the trade, this isn’t a rental. The White
Sox owe Peavy $52 million through 2012.
– There’s a distinct possibility
that Chad Billingsley just isn’t very good. Either that, or he is hiding an
injury. Billingsley pitched in relief for the first time this season on
Friday night against the Giants and the results weren’t very encouraging.
He allowed two runs on four hits, including a home run, while walking
two and failing to strike out a batter. Joe Torre came with the hook
after he loaded the bases. It looks like Billingsley is still on track
to start against the Nationals next Wednesday, but his recent collapse
is nothing short of alarming. He is 3-6 with a 5.49 ERA, 1.58 WHIP and
.302 BAA in 12 appearances (11 starts) since the All-Star break.
– The Athletics recalled a few reinforcements on Saturday, including outfielder Travis Buck, but top-prospect Chris Carter was not one of them.
Nope, it looks like the Athletics will go with Daric Barton at first
base the rest of the way. Carter has surprised by hitting
.337/.435/.576 with 24 HR and 101 RBI for Double-A Midland this season.
Acquired from Arizona in the Dan Haren trade, Carter was ranked as the
No. 6 prospect in the Athletics organization by Baseball America. Don’t
be surprised to see him jump that list after his strong showing in 2009.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)