Sep 19, 2009, 6:41 PM EDT
- We’ve seen plenty of stops and starts, but the time has finally come. Jake Peavy is moments away from making his White Sox debut against the Royals.
Too bad the start doesn’t mean anything, as the White Sox have lost
three in a row, unable to take advantage of the Tigers’ recent
struggles. Of course, the White Sox acquired Peavy from the Padres in
exchange for a boatload of prospects at the deadline. While general manager Ken Williams made quite a splash with the trade, this isn’t a rental. The White
Sox owe Peavy $52 million through 2012.
- There’s a distinct possibility
that Chad Billingsley just isn’t very good. Either that, or he is hiding an
injury. Billingsley pitched in relief for the first time this season on
Friday night against the Giants and the results weren’t very encouraging.
He allowed two runs on four hits, including a home run, while walking
two and failing to strike out a batter. Joe Torre came with the hook
after he loaded the bases. It looks like Billingsley is still on track
to start against the Nationals next Wednesday, but his recent collapse
is nothing short of alarming. He is 3-6 with a 5.49 ERA, 1.58 WHIP and
.302 BAA in 12 appearances (11 starts) since the All-Star break.
- The Athletics recalled a few reinforcements on Saturday, including outfielder Travis Buck, but top-prospect Chris Carter was not one of them.
Nope, it looks like the Athletics will go with Daric Barton at first
base the rest of the way. Carter has surprised by hitting
.337/.435/.576 with 24 HR and 101 RBI for Double-A Midland this season.
Acquired from Arizona in the Dan Haren trade, Carter was ranked as the
No. 6 prospect in the Athletics organization by Baseball America. Don’t
be surprised to see him jump that list after his strong showing in 2009.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)