Sep 20, 2009, 11:59 AM EDT
“Once it went through the lights, I lost it. There’s
really nothing else you can do. I mean, it’s not like I took my eye off
of if. People were saying they’ve seen many, many balls lost here. It’s
not the first. It’s not going to be the last.”
– The Metrodome isn’t going away without a fight, and neither are the Twins. Don Kelly lost an Orlando Cabrera flyball in the lights
during the seventh inning of Saturday’s game. Due to the misplay,
Denard Span was able to advance to third base and Cabrera reached
second. Both runners came in to score on a Jason Kubel single, as the
Twins cut the Tigers lead to two games with a dramatic 6-2 win.
”I felt two hits. One was me catching it, and the second one was me
hitting the fence. And I knew when I looked up after I hit
the fence and didn’t see the ball, it was going to be bad.”
– In a play that is sure to be included on blooper reels between innings at baseball stadiums from now until the end of time, Bobby Scales gave Brendan Ryan an assist on his fifth-inning home run on Saturday afternoon.
”I see why he won a Cy Young. I like the attitude he has. He’ll help
this club. The people playing behind him better be ready. Guys should
learn from him. He prepares himself and expects his teammates to do it.
You have to prepare and back him up.”
– Ozzie Guillen reflects on Jake Peavy’s successful debut
against the Royals on Saturday night. Peavy allowed three runs over
five innings while walking two and striking out five in a 13-3 victory.
“That’s just a number. If you didn’t tell me today, I
wouldn’t realize. I would just go home, try to get some sleep and a
muscle relaxer, and forget about it. To lose 100 games in the big leagues is a great honor, to be honest.
Many people don’t have the opportunity to lose three games, two games,
or maybe none. I’m a very blessed man.”
– Pedro Martinez, upon learning that he took his 100th career loss
against the Braves on Saturday night. He gave the first-place Phillies
a bit of a scare when he tweaked his neck during an at-bat in the second inning, leaving after just three innings, but he should be on track for his next start.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)