Sep 21, 2009, 12:08 PM EDT
Quick, find Andorra on a map. Not so
easy, is it? It’s safe to say Aroldis Chapman didn’t know it where it
was either before he decided to defect from Cuba. However, the
21-year-old fireballer has now established residency in the country, clearing a major hurdle to become a major league free agent.
Chapman walked out of his hotel in Rotterdam, the Netherlands
while Cuba was participating in a baseball tournament in July. His
location was not immediately known, but it appears that he was savvy
enough to take advantage of a major-league loophole which allows
players from third-party countries — no longer a product of the U.S.
embargo with Cuba — to enter the free-agent pool as opposed to the
draft. Because Chapman had a passport, he was able to get the wheels in
motion rather quickly. Another bonus, Andorra has no income tax, so
he’ll save a pretty penny in the end.
According to SI.com, Chapman may be
available for free agency before the playoffs begin. While there’s a wide
range of opinion about his skills, one scouting director told
SI.com that he projects more as a middle reliever than a front-end major league
starter. Either way, don’t expect the Yankees or Red Sox to shy away
from his 101 MPH fastball.
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (135)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)