Sep 21, 2009, 12:48 PM EDT
* After being burned on the international market when a 16-year-old given a $570,000 signing bonus turned out to be a 19-year-old, the Indians are considering using DNA testing on all players offered more than $50,000. “If a kid and his family decide to decline, we’ll pull our offer and pass,” assistant general manager John Mirabelli said.
* They’d already clinched a spot in the final round of the World Cup, but the United States still pounded out 12 runs on 17 hits in yesterday’s win over Italy. Team USA is now 8-1 overall with one more preliminary game remaining until the quarterfinals begin.
* Charlie Manuel said last week that he didn’t view Brett Myers as a closer option and now it’s a non-issue, because Myers has joined the lengthy list of injured Phillies pitchers with a sore right shoulder.
* By going 1-for-4 with a homer and two walks yesterday Prince Fielder notched his 40th homer of the year, moved into a tie with Albert Pujols for the NL lead in RBIs, and broke the Brewers’ single-season record for both RBIs and walks. Fielder became an everyday player in 2006 and since then only Ryan Howard, Albert Pujols, and Adam Dunn have more homers.
* In what is proof that Circling the Bases has no jinxing power, Howie Kendrick stayed on a roll this weekend and now has his batting average over .300. He was at just .231 when the Angels demoted him to Triple-A in June.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 26
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)