Sep 21, 2009, 12:48 PM EDT
* After being burned on the international market when a 16-year-old given a $570,000 signing bonus turned out to be a 19-year-old, the Indians are considering using DNA testing on all players offered more than $50,000. “If a kid and his family decide to decline, we’ll pull our offer and pass,” assistant general manager John Mirabelli said.
* They’d already clinched a spot in the final round of the World Cup, but the United States still pounded out 12 runs on 17 hits in yesterday’s win over Italy. Team USA is now 8-1 overall with one more preliminary game remaining until the quarterfinals begin.
* Charlie Manuel said last week that he didn’t view Brett Myers as a closer option and now it’s a non-issue, because Myers has joined the lengthy list of injured Phillies pitchers with a sore right shoulder.
* By going 1-for-4 with a homer and two walks yesterday Prince Fielder notched his 40th homer of the year, moved into a tie with Albert Pujols for the NL lead in RBIs, and broke the Brewers’ single-season record for both RBIs and walks. Fielder became an everyday player in 2006 and since then only Ryan Howard, Albert Pujols, and Adam Dunn have more homers.
* In what is proof that Circling the Bases has no jinxing power, Howie Kendrick stayed on a roll this weekend and now has his batting average over .300. He was at just .231 when the Angels demoted him to Triple-A in June.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (199)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)