Marlins will soon play in 'a spaceship that just landed'

Sep 21, 2009, 1:55 PM EDT

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria recently spoke to the New York Times about the team’s new 37,000-seat, retractable-roof ballpark that opens in 2012 and it sounds like his background as an art dealer will play a big factor in the design:

The city of Miami is a new, electric city, so it called for something contemporary. I wanted the stadium in a place where it would be a piece of sculpture. I wanted people to go to a ballgame to use their eyes and be in a facility that’s not just another retro stadium. Color is very important. The stadium will be bathed by light.

There’s nothing wrong with retro, but it’s time to move ahead into the 21st century. … I’m interested in the sculptural experience, glass, marble, colored bricks, stones, wood. There’s no stadium that’s out there that approximates it because it will be so white and with primary colors all around. It sort of looks like a spaceship that just landed, something different, something people can call their own.

I’m in agreement with Loria that “retro” has now become this era’s cookie-cutter ballpark design choice, but on the other hand I’m not sure that anyone really needs to watch baseball games in “a spaceship that just landed.” Loria also noted that the team is preparing to change uniforms as they enter the new ballpark, because until now the Marlins’ look has revolved around teal and “teal is a color for the ’90s.”

1. Bobby Townsend - Sep 21, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Leave the teal alone, I like it. Team will be renamed the Miami Marlins in 2012 when the stadium opens at the site of the old Orange Bowl. I’m the new place will be a nice place to watch a game without the threat of the t-storms that hit there quite often during the summer months. Can’t wait to go there to see a game

2. smokehouse - Sep 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Give me a break. Seats only 37,000? What the hell, is this a high school field? They only average less than 18,000 per game so I guess a minor league stadium is OK. Just some owners new toy paid for by the tax payer.

3. blh - Sep 21, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I guess you would also consider Fenway Park a minor league ball park as well. It seats 34,000 plus.

4. smokehouse - Sep 21, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Oh no blh. Never….That park is 1920’s (?) vintage. I’m talking about a new park holding only 37,000.

5. ThatRogue - Sep 22, 2009 at 6:15 AM

Most new parks are smaller in capacity and have seating designed for comfort and closeness to the action. They are designed to offer a more intimate ballpark experience.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic