Sep 21, 2009, 1:55 PM EST
Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria recently spoke to the New York Times about the team’s new 37,000-seat, retractable-roof ballpark that opens in 2012 and it sounds like his background as an art dealer will play a big factor in the design:
The city of Miami is a new, electric city, so it called for something contemporary. I wanted the stadium in a place where it would be a piece of sculpture. I wanted people to go to a ballgame to use their eyes and be in a facility that’s not just another retro stadium. Color is very important. The stadium will be bathed by light.
There’s nothing wrong with retro, but it’s time to move ahead into the 21st century. … I’m interested in the sculptural experience, glass, marble, colored bricks, stones, wood. There’s no stadium that’s out there that approximates it because it will be so white and with primary colors all around. It sort of looks like a spaceship that just landed, something different, something people can call their own.
I’m in agreement with Loria that “retro” has now become this era’s cookie-cutter ballpark design choice, but on the other hand I’m not sure that anyone really needs to watch baseball games in “a spaceship that just landed.” Loria also noted that the team is preparing to change uniforms as they enter the new ballpark, because until now the Marlins’ look has revolved around teal and “teal is a color for the ’90s.”
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 119
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 260
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)