Sep 21, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
“Sometimes you’ve just got to look in the mirror and realize that maybe
the biggest part of the problem is yourself and (not) wanting to be
here and play every day, and (not) wanting to have some fun. It didn’t
seem like he wanted to have some fun, even from spring training.”
- Ryan Dempster tells it like it is after Milton Bradley was suspended for the rest of the season for conduct detrimental to the organization on Sunday.
“We knew this could make or break us, and that’s what it was. We didn’t play well. Everybody knows what
happened the last nine games. We’re not mathematically out of it, but
our chances aren’t very good.”
- Ian Kinsler, after the Angels all but knocked the Rangers out of playoff contention by taking two out of three over the weekend.
“I don’t want to sound like I’m a prophet, but I said early in the
season that it would probably go down to the last week. Three games is better than one, but it still could
go down to the wire.”
- Oh, so the Tigers have sucked over the past two weeks just so Jim Leyland can be right. I got it now.
“You’ve just seen over this last week what can happen in the course of
six games. We still have 13
to play. Obviously they’re in the driver’s seat right now, three games
up. But anything can happen.”
- Michael Cuddyer has played a big part in the Twins’ recent surge in the standings.
Even though the Twins six-game winning streak was snapped on Sunday,
Cuddyer is batting .357 with four homers and 13 RBI since stepping in
at first base for Justin Morneau.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 26
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)