Should Joba be in playoff rotation?

Sep 21, 2009, 10:14 AM EST

Joba Chamberlain was pounded for
seven runs over three innings against the Mariners on Sunday afternoon,
prompting many to ask if he deserves to be in the Yankees rotation
should they reach the ALCS.
Joe Girardi still thinks so, at least for now:

“We expect Joba
to be our fourth starter, we do. It is concerning, because we want him
feeling really good about himself going into the postseason.”

There’s a real belief that this
whole “Joba rules” thing has actually had a negative effect on his
performance. Chamberlain is 1-4 with an 8.25 ERA and 1.97 WHIP over his
last nine starts — he has logged just 36 innings — or an average of
four innings per start — in that time. He has two more chances to get
it in gear, with the second-place Red Sox on the docket this weekend
and the Rays on tap during the season’s final week.

1. ds - Sep 21, 2009 at 10:28 AM

What makes Girardi think he can do it? Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Why put the Yankees in a hole every time he starts? Who cares if he settles down after an inning or two when the damage has already been done? Why wear out the bullpen just to get him in for a few innings? IT doesn’t sound worth it to me.

2. yankeesfanlen - Sep 21, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Seems to me that Girardi will change his mind given any reasonable alternative. When the Yankees win home field and scheduling, 3 starters can get through the ALDS, and the question need not come up til the ALDS.
    I would prefer an Acevas start at this point.I would go further by saying anyone but Joba, but let’s see what the rest of the regular season brings.

3. Garrett - Sep 21, 2009 at 11:22 AM

sdkjsdf

4. jmar - Sep 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM

the joba rules have shaken his confidence, thrown off his rhythym; ask him what he thinks the answer is; he seemed to be most effective out of the bull pen; now is not the time to be taking chances when every game is crucial.

5. jmar - Sep 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM

6. Jeremy - Sep 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM

I believe that the new joba rules (4 innings) were put in place to make him a long reliever, regardless of what Girardi says to the media. I believe he’s intentionally going to the bull pen so he could cover if there are any rocky starts. However I believe his recent stint of poor performance is due to the change in his routine, and the only reason he’s gone 36 innings is cause they won’t give him more.
    I would be surprised if he pitched 5 innings against the sox, no matter how good he may be doing.

7. RedsoxFan - Sep 21, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Serve him up. He’s a bum anyway.

8. Ken - Sep 21, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Joba should of been sent down, unfortantly its too late for that,here is a guy that spent less than a season in the minors and for some reason yankee fans thought he was the next Bob Feller The yankees put him in the fast lane and its their fault.We want to know who was the idiot who thought up the jobs rules.

9. Jeremy - Sep 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I do think the idea of Joba rules is insane. Someone thought “Hey, lets treat this guy differently then any other pitcher who has ever pitched…” and figured that would somehow amount to something good?

10. Aaron - Sep 21, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Put him in the bullpen. This is getting to be ridiculous. He’s pitched terribly since these new rules have been in place, and its not doing anything productive keeping it like this.
    At this point, I’d be an advocate of stretching Hughes out and starting him in Joba’s place. Hell, I’d even take Gaudin.

11. BIGBRUCE11047 - Sep 21, 2009 at 1:54 PM

The way the Yankees are using Joba Chamberlain, no wonder he is having problems. Either let him have his starts and let him get his mechanics back or just put him in the bullpen and use him as a set-up man. You cannot expect a pitcher (especially an inexperienced one) to fine-tune his delivery, etc… unless he is allowed to pitch on a regular basis.

12. lynn - Sep 21, 2009 at 1:56 PM

AMEN.

13. Chris - Sep 21, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Joba was a great reliever – as he could be a “one pitch” pitcher. As a starter, he stinks – probably because he hasn’t developed a large enough arsenal of pitches needed by a starter to keep batters off balance.
    Girardi should consider putting Joba back in the bullpen where Joba belongs, and not do the risky thing of letting Joba start – especially against the Bosox or Angels.

14. ted - Sep 21, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Your grammar is terrible. “should of” needs to be should have. Your spelling is embarassing. But, you are right.

15. Jeremy - Sep 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM

hahaha, thank you, that post made me happy.

16. Rich - Sep 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I say pitch him like everyone else, and if he keeps screwing up get rid of him. Believe me he’s not that special.

17. Jorge Rodriguez Aizpurua - Sep 21, 2009 at 2:47 PM

The Joba rules to me is this pitcher ready for the big league or send him to the minors.
    Joba is 24 year old
    Hernandez is 23
    Lester is 25
    Mazzaro is 23 what rules they are using with these gays

18. JPARENT - Sep 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM

JOBA WILL LOOK GOOD IN A TORONTO UNIFORM. HE HAD HIS RUN IN 2007. NOT ONLY IS HE JUST A PROSPECT HE IS A BIG BABY. HE WILL NOT LISTEN.WE NEED AN ACE, AND HE WILL NEVER BE ONE.

19. ED1935 - Sep 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Time to make him a closer. Problem will be wild pitches and hitting batters which Mario does not do.

20. Joey B - Sep 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I understand inning limits and all, but like you said, this is the most convulted thing I’ve ever seen. I watched BB for 40 and don’t remember anyone ever treated like this.

21. Joey B - Sep 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM

22. david nystuen - Sep 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Send him to the minors, or better yet trade him. That’s of course if anyone wants him. He is not ready for the big leagues.

23. HOTROD - Sep 21, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Ken, you have no idea what you are talking about, this is why
    you have never been or will never be the GM for the YANKEES.
    Stick to your day job, you will need it.

24. HOTROD - Sep 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM

BEFORE MAKING RECKLESS ACCUSATIONS MAYBE YOU SHOULD BACK UP YOU
    WORDS BY CHECKING HOW MANY INNINGS JOBA HAS PITCHED IN THE MINORS.
    SINCE I HAVE I WILL TELL THE KID HAS LESS THAN TWO HUNDRED INNINGS, THIS IS TOO RISKY FOR A YOUNG KID AND THEY HAVE DECIDED TO PROTECT THEIR INVESTMENT DESPITE ALL THE SCHMUCKS FROM BOSTON WHO WOULD LIKE FOR THE YANKEES TO RUN HIM OUT THERE SO HE CAN BLOW UP HIS ARM.
    I HAVE A IDEA, THE YANKEES SHOULD LISTEN TO THEIR PITCHING ADVISOR, COACHES WHO ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.IF ANYTHING, THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT HIM IN THE BULLPEN, BUT THAT WILL LEAD TO THE KID CHANGING HIS WORKOUTS FROM STARTER TO RELIEVER THAN CHANGE BAC TO STARTER IN THE PLAYOFFS, TOO MUCH MESSING AROUND THERE SO THEY SAY
    HE WILL GET ONLY 3-4-5 INNINGS.

25. HOTROD - Sep 21, 2009 at 4:28 PM

DUDE, WHY ARE YOU TELLING A REDSOX FAN WHAT TO DO WITH A YANKEE PITCHER ? BESIDE’S, JOBA LIKE’S TO THROW AT DOING KEVIN YOUKILIS, THIS IS A GOOD THING.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2785)
  2. W. Myers (2543)
  3. D. Ross (2208)
  4. C. McGehee (2129)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1983)
  1. J. Shields (1886)