Sep 22, 2009, 5:29 PM EDT
Three months after signing the 16-year-old outfielder to a record $3.1 million pact, the Cardinals on Tuesday voided Wagner Mateo’s contract, saying he failed his physical based on “pre-existing injuries and physical defects.”
Mateo’s deal was the second-largest ever given to a Latin American teenager and the largest given to a position player. Dominican right-hander Michel Inoa received $4.25 million from the A’s last year.
It was reported by ESPN last week that Wagner had recently underwent several eye examinations to determine if he had a degenerative condition that could jeopardize his future. The results weren’t released, but the assumption is that the Cardinals tried to negotiate a lower bonus for Mateo, failed and then opted to void the deal.
The move could have quite an effect on the Cardinals’ efforts in Latin America for years to come. The Mateo signing was a huge step for an organization that had been quiet in the Dominican Republic and Venezuela of late. Voiding the deal three months after coming to terms will likely make prospects and, more importantly, their handlers wary in the future.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (221)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)