Sep 23, 2009, 10:55 AM EST
Dejan Kovacevic had a lot of time to do some research in the PNC Park press box last night:
Perhaps the one good thing about the Pirates’ many miseries in
recent years is that they have resurrected the classic names of Crazy
Schmit, Phenomenal Smith and Peek-A-Boo Veach.
Those were just a few of the farmers and mill workers who comprised
the 1890 Pittsburg Alleghenies, the infamous worst team in franchise
history and the one invariably cited anytime a futility record is
challenged . . . That 3-21 stretch now is the second-worst in such a span over the
franchise’s 123-year history, with the 1890 team’s… um, phenomenal
3-35 finish to that 23-113 season still standing alone.
Kovacevic is one of my favorite beat writers. Seeing his work during the heat of a pennant race would be nice, but at this point I’d love to see what he could do if he had even a run-of-the-mill bad team to cover.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 11
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 29
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)