Sep 24, 2009, 10:46 AM EDT
A late Septemeber day game between two of the worst teams in baseball is usually all it takes to send attendance to record lows, but world leaders have literally united to make attending today’s Reds-Pirates game even less appealing:
Those arriving at PNC Park for this afternoon’s Pirates game against the Cincinnati Reds will face increased security, the team’s president said.
The team heightened security all week in light of the Group of 20 economic summit across the Allegheny River at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. But measures at the North Shore stadium will be particularly high today and tomorrow, President Frank Coonelly said.
The Pirates added extra security inside and outside the ballpark, and fans will be scanned with metal-detecting wands at the gates.
Given what has happened at previous world economic summits, the extra security is probably smart. Bonus effect: any Pirates season ticket holders who had planned on attempting suicide during the game — which would be completely understandable, I might add — will now have to put it off until next week.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)