Bradley's mom blames preschool racism, Mark De Rosa-love for Milton's troubles

Sep 24, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT

On at least one level I feel sorry for Milton Bradley, and that has to do with his mom, who simply won’t stop talking to the Chicago media about her son.

The latest? According to her, Bradley was distracted because his three year-old son was subjected to racist taunts. “Parents, teachers and their kids called him the n-word,” she said.  Tough preschool.  Also, says Ma Bradley, the fans hated him right off the bat because he wasn’t Mark DeRosa. “And he could see right away the fans didn’t accept him because they
wanted DeRosa, I think his name was, to be there. So he never really
felt accepted. He never felt comfortable at all.” Oh, and she also says that Bradley would like to play in Chicago again if given the chance.

I feel sorry for him because I could totally see my mom doing this. Except instead of racist toddlers and DeRosa envy, my mom would blame all of my struggles on gas or “a change in the weather,” which are the two things she has blamed for every bit of negativity that has happened in her lifetime, be it the space shuttle exploding, inflation, or the Kennedy assassination.

I’d say I can’t wait to hear more from Bradley’s mom, but my guess is that Milton is going to spend a good bit of time today arranging for her phone number to be changed.

1. A - Sep 24, 2009 at 9:33 AM

What a load of CRAP!!!!!

2. Skids - Sep 24, 2009 at 9:41 AM

What a load of crap. 3 Year olds don’t know color. This is a new low for the race card, and for Bradley. He needs to get a real job.

3. Shely - Sep 24, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Crap is not the word for it. I don’t care if she is his mom. Playing the race card is getting tiresome. The guy is a jerk, and his momma has a lot to do with it. If he was taught some respect when he was growing up, he probably would not have gone in this direction. A loser and cry baby are the best examples of what I would call him.
    To be fair, it is not entirely his fault. Why would any major league team sign him up for a contract, especially $30 Mil. That just furthered his overstated opinion of himself. MLB has the problem also. they had better do something about it before we all get tired of the whole scene.
    Shely

4. Ray Stefl - Sep 24, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Give me a break! Let’s all hold hands and cry for Milton. Milton has had an awful attitude his entire career! Maybe his mom could have been a better parent and taught him to overcome adversity. He gets called out and will argue with the umpire to the point of injury. I guess thats what happens when you are called the n-word. Everybody faces issues in their lives, but most of us don’t act like an ass, we overcome. Grow up and be a man, not mommies little baby.

5. HOTROD - Sep 24, 2009 at 9:48 AM

I agree there is NO RACIST people IN AMERICA, that is CRAzY…….

6. NYguy - Sep 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM

“I agree there is NO RACIST people IN AMERICA, that is CRAzY…….”
    First of all it should say ‘there are’ as people is a plural noun. Secondly, using all caps in words is a poor choice for emphasis. Try italics or underlining or Boldset. Remember, less is more in writing. Thirdly, speak the truth. There are plenty of racist people in the world and it seems more and more of them are of the black color. Being a jerk is no excuse for bad behavior, regardless of color. It seems you are the bigot.

7. Shely - Sep 24, 2009 at 10:40 AM

NY guy:
    You are mostly right. However you forgot to mention, that probably the biggest racist in this whole conversation is the MOMMA.
    Shely

8. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Shely

Well to be honest, the guy did have a 153 and 163 OPS+ the last two years, which would be tops on the Cubs this year. Unfortunately he has a problem staying healthy (amongst other things).

9. Shely - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Yes, however you forget the history. Too bad in America, we do not learn from the past. This guy has almost always been trouble. He has an attitude problem which causes trouble in the dougout and with his own team mates. That is his history. The rest of the Cubs celebrated when he was suspended. Just like in LA when he was traded. No one with that kind of rep. has any business earning $30. Mil. The Cubs may have been right in the middle of this race if not for him. They paid him $30. mil to knock them out of any playoff contention with his antics. I don’t car if he bats .400 with power. (not in his dreams).
    Shely

10. HOTROD - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM

WHO ARE YOU ?, DON’T ANSWER THAT CAUSE I REALLY DON’T CARE!!!
    I DIDN’T GET THE MEMO YOU ARE IN CHARGE OR MAYBE I THREW IT OUT.
    I HATE PEOPLE WHO NEED TO INFORM PEOPLE THEY ARE SMART, IT DOES
    NOT IMPRESS ME, GET A LIFE YOU IDIOT FOOL.I WILL TYPE IN CAPS JUST
    TO PISS YOU OFF, SO DEAL WITH IT.BY THE WAY, THERE IS NOTHING
    BIGOT ABOUT WHAT I TYPED BUT YOUR RESPONSE IS RATHER INTERESTING.
    I REALLY DON’T CARE WHAT YOU SAY, LIKE I SAID IN BEGINNING, WHO
    ARE YOU, NOBODY.GO READ UP ON YOUR HISTORY, ESPECIALLY ABOUT
    CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS, I HOPE YOU LAUGH HARD ABOUT WHAT IT SAY’S.

11. Paul Sousa - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Gotta be racism. If a black person has to stop at a red light – it’s racism.
    Stop signs? Racist
    Can’t bring 18 items to the 10 items or less line – racist policy.
    Anyone who believes we live in a racist country – why not leave?

12. rory - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:27 AM

rr

13. N-Man - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

SO black lady take the kid out of a white school, and put him one with all blacks where he belongs. that way when the other 4 year olds call him a ni**er, it will be a term of affection. do anyone notice that the only racist people in the world are the blacks. wonder why that is.

14. Shely - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Hey Hot Rod calm down. Make your point and quit. The more you write, the more foolish you look. I agree with NYguy on that too. If you can’t take the heat, then stop writing and reading the columns.
    Shely
    P.S. I hate to agree with anyone from NY.

15. Adam - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM

So it had nothing to do with hitting Mendoza-esque the entire first half with 5 HRs, throwing a 2 out fly ball into the stands and losing another in the sun the next day? At least he got some laughs when he tried to break a bat over his knee and failed. I guess the silver lining is that his bat actually made contact with something.

16. d-port - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Nick?

17. HOTROD - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM

WHO ARE YOU ?, DON’T ANSWER THAT BECAUSE I DO NOT CARE!!!!
    IF I’M A BIGOT YOU SHOULD READ YOUR POST, BECAUSE THAT STATEMENT IS RIDICULOUS AT BEST AND SINCE YOU SEEM TO BE OFFENDED BY IT I CAN ONLY CONCLUDE IT IS CORRECT.BY THE WAY, I HATE PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY ARE SO SMART THAT THEY WALK AROUND CORRECTING PEOPLE IT SHOW’S YOU HAVE NO LIFE, SO GET ONE, LOSER JERK!HOPE THE CAPS PISS YOU OFF, JUST DON’T WET YOUR PANT’S YOU BIG BABY.
    WHO ARE YOU AGAIN?

18. HOTROD - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:52 AM

WHO ARE YOU ??
    ANOTHER RACISTS, I’M GONE, CAN’T DEAL WITH YOU IDIOTS.
    WONDERFUL POSTS

19. Observer - Sep 24, 2009 at 11:56 AM

buddy – You should change your name to NIMROD.

20. Shely - Sep 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Hate to see you go, however, it is probably best. Good to see that you took my advice and stopped writing. One comment to the rest of you. it is too bad that too many people of color seem to blame every failure on racists white people. That is why we can not have an intelligent conversation about race in America. If one starts off with it is “racists” for all failures, then where can you go from there?
    Shely

21. Common Sense - Sep 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Children only speak words they are taught! Someone in their homes has been using the “n” word and they picked it up. Kids always seem to gravitate toward the words they shouldn’t use. Want to get rid of racism??? Stop teaching it to the next generation!!!!!!!!

22. BCUZ - Sep 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM

#1 these posts always brighten my day, #2. The passion/ignorance of some people is enlightening and #3. if i didn’t properly compose the post blame it on my English composition teacher, because it certainly can’t be my fault.(sarcasm :) )

23. tk1966 - Sep 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Huh?

24. Jim A - Sep 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Let’s all just slow down and take a breath. This whole string has gone from Bradley’s mom making excuses for him, to a lot of name calling and flying spittle. Bottom line is, black/white/Latin/Asian, Bradley is a clubhouse cancer with no apparent sense of personal responsibility. The Cubs will not be able to trade him with his poor numbers, bad attitude, and inflated salary, so will be stuck paying him another 20 million whether he plays or not. Bradley needs to shut up, tell his mother to zip it, and work his tail off in the offseason to not only improve his game, but his way of dealing with the same world the rest of us live in.

25. N-Man - Sep 24, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3103)