Bradley's mom blames preschool racism, Mark De Rosa-love for Milton's troubles

Sep 24, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT

On at least one level I feel sorry for Milton Bradley, and that has to do with his mom, who simply won’t stop talking to the Chicago media about her son.

The latest? According to her, Bradley was distracted because his three year-old son was subjected to racist taunts. “Parents, teachers and their kids called him the n-word,” she said.  Tough preschool.  Also, says Ma Bradley, the fans hated him right off the bat because he wasn’t Mark DeRosa. “And he could see right away the fans didn’t accept him because they
wanted DeRosa, I think his name was, to be there. So he never really
felt accepted. He never felt comfortable at all.” Oh, and she also says that Bradley would like to play in Chicago again if given the chance.

I feel sorry for him because I could totally see my mom doing this. Except instead of racist toddlers and DeRosa envy, my mom would blame all of my struggles on gas or “a change in the weather,” which are the two things she has blamed for every bit of negativity that has happened in her lifetime, be it the space shuttle exploding, inflation, or the Kennedy assassination.

I’d say I can’t wait to hear more from Bradley’s mom, but my guess is that Milton is going to spend a good bit of time today arranging for her phone number to be changed.

1. foxnews - Sep 24, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I just figured it out. HOTROD is Milton Bradley!

2. Luvheat - Sep 24, 2009 at 5:43 PM

HotRod…sounds like grandiose to me…but anyway, you are either an intelligent 12 year old, home from school sick, or an undersized adult wishing he were anyone else, and is still living at home with Mom. Either way you have nothing to say that isn’t sputum and doing it in caps just makes you look more of what you are

3. Luvheat - Sep 24, 2009 at 5:48 PM

OH and btw…Bradley’s mom is the epitome of a racist saying any adult would call a three year old the “N” word is beyond reason. And I doubt seriously that any other three year old child even knows there’s a difference between them…especially race. Hell they barely know they’re boys and girls at that age

4. HOTROD'S MOM - Sep 24, 2009 at 5:57 PM

HEY GUYS BE NICE TO MY BOY, SEE RIGHT NOW HE’S WASHING LETTUCE; BUT SOON HE’LL BE DOING THE FRIES, THEN ONE DAY HE’LL BE ASSISTANT MANAGER, AND THAT’S WHEN THE BIG BUCKS WILL START ROLLING IN.

5. Matt - Sep 24, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Pierre got it right. If it’s so bad in Chi-town then why does he want to keep playing for the Cubs if they’ll have him back?

6. Mirro - Sep 25, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Mom’s story sounds a little dramtic.
    On the other hand, kids will say what they have been taught to say, no matter how odd or mean.
    The little ones may not see color on their own, but they can without a doubt be taught to see color and judge it.

7. sandy formick - Oct 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Wow, I can’t believe these remarks. Let me guess your all white. if it were possible and you could be African-American for months, I would think your ignorance might be enlightened. Oh, by the way, I am white.

8. Ron - Oct 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I’m a San Diego fan who happened to like Bradley during his stay here and also happened to be in Chicago for no good reason in August. I was shocked to see the newspaper pleading for his outright release on the front page the day after making the final out.
    That day, I went to the game and saw the Cubs’ fans reactions to a player trying too hard in a situation he was never going to be appreciated.
    Was it flat-out racism? I’m not sure, but I’m not ruling it out.
    It wasn’t until two weeks later that Milton made the comments that got him suspended; comments that were well warranted.

9. UB - Oct 4, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Milton, unless I was drinking too much when he was in Montreal, didn’t seem to have a big problem there. I watched some of his stupid attacks at Wrigley Field. Missing the easy balls, throwing a live ball into the stands. Mistakes, even the great players make.He today seems to have steroid rage, that uncontrollable anger that snaps anytime, anywhere. I could be wrong, but it’s a thought.I missed the Mothers comments and his. If he thinks his problems are because of his race, he’s just looking for the easy and over used excuse.No Milt, it’s you and you alone. Get some help and try and play a few more years.

10. Wayne - Oct 5, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Talk about a mother enabling her spoiled, over paid self-absorbed childs twisted sense of entitlement. Way to go Mrs Bradley. He has beeen a royal pain in the a** and a black eye to baseball since day one.

11. Sham off - Oct 7, 2009 at 3:55 AM

I’d like to point out that it’s more than just children repeating what they hear- research shows that kids as young as 6 months can be racially discriminatory, so it is entirely possible for his 3 year old to be the victim of legitimate racial taunts. . . . . Though why this should make a good excuse is beyond me . . .

12. Mark - Oct 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner.
    Best post on the thread.

13. Steve - Oct 13, 2009 at 6:28 AM

Obviously, I’m pretty late to this party, but it strikes me that there’s an inordinate amount of anger stirred up whenever anyone mentions racism. Though I have no idea on this thread of course, that generally comes from white people. While Bradley’s mom’s excuse making is half-funny, and half-ugly, as Yogi might say it’s also possibly half-true. Psychologists almost universally agree that experiences of all sorts in our first five years profoundly shape our entire lives. And I have yet to meet a person of color/ethnic minority – whatever, pick your term – in this country over twenty who hasn’t experienced racism.
    There’s a word for this anger; it’s called defensiveness, and it blocks good conversations. Can we chill out and not take things personally unless we should?

14. Anton - Oct 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Some people need to find different avenues to vent there frustrations….or something maybe you just need someone in real life to bitch too …HOTROD. Anyways we all deal with shit in our childhoods, i’m sure Sabathia and Ryan Howard dealt with racism, you don’t see howard injuring himself arguing balls and strikes. You don’t see Sabathia going after white players heads. Milton Bradley’s just a selfish guy, and he has his gauranteed contract so he probably thinks to himself if i act up enough maybe i’ll get suspended and have some vacation time so i can chill with Coco Crisp or something. Yes racism exists in the world and probably has since there was two different types of people…everyone could stop teaching there children racism and it will be full blown within two generations…that’s the world we live in. You accept it and don’t let people like that affect you.

15. joe the first - Oct 13, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Yea, I was a premie delivered in the emergency room of a segregated, all black hospital. My problems began in the maternity ward when other infants coo’d at me “Hey white boy, when you grow up you’ll have a pencil dick.” Plus, the maternity ward supervisor showed more affection to the other newborns. I’ve never forgotten these traumatic moments and to this day, they still haunt me.

16. joe the first - Oct 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM

It should read “…you’re all white…”. Are you familar with contractions?

17. Jimsjam33 - Oct 16, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Quick call Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson down to that pre-school and start teaching those tottlers how to sing praises to President Obama . In no time they will be assimulated , the name calling will stop , and Bradley can play for the Cubs again . After all it was racism that caused him to be a complainer and a bust for the Cubs. Mama , after all , knows best !

18. Antonina Bisel - Jan 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM

I wanted to thank you for this great read. I definitely liked every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked and will be reading more.

19. Lamar Kilian - Mar 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I’m sure you had fun writing this article.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5384)