Sep 24, 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
* Mariners closer David Aardsma injured his back recently while “scrunched up reading a book” on the team flight to Florida. Seriously. No word yet on what he was reading, but presumably it wasn’t this book.
* David Ortiz smacked his 25th homer last night while driving in four runs, and is now hitting .261/.356/.548 with 24 homers, 18 doubles, and 67 RBIs in his last 90 games after batting .187 with one homer through June 1. “I knew that when I got my swing back, good things were going to happen,” Ortiz said.
* Giants manager Bruce Bochy inexplicably continues to give Eli Whiteside starts behind the plate when Bengie Molina needs a day off. Not only is Whiteside a career minor leaguer hitting just .200 in 45 games, the Giants have arguably the best catching prospect in baseball sitting on the bench.
* Aroldis Chapman is going to become a very rich man once he’s officially declared a free agent, but for the most part Cuban pitchers haven’t had a ton of success in the majors during the past couple decades.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)