Sep 24, 2009, 3:24 PM EST
* Mariners closer David Aardsma injured his back recently while “scrunched up reading a book” on the team flight to Florida. Seriously. No word yet on what he was reading, but presumably it wasn’t this book.
* David Ortiz smacked his 25th homer last night while driving in four runs, and is now hitting .261/.356/.548 with 24 homers, 18 doubles, and 67 RBIs in his last 90 games after batting .187 with one homer through June 1. “I knew that when I got my swing back, good things were going to happen,” Ortiz said.
* Giants manager Bruce Bochy inexplicably continues to give Eli Whiteside starts behind the plate when Bengie Molina needs a day off. Not only is Whiteside a career minor leaguer hitting just .200 in 45 games, the Giants have arguably the best catching prospect in baseball sitting on the bench.
* Aroldis Chapman is going to become a very rich man once he’s officially declared a free agent, but for the most part Cuban pitchers haven’t had a ton of success in the majors during the past couple decades.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)