Sep 24, 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
* Mariners closer David Aardsma injured his back recently while “scrunched up reading a book” on the team flight to Florida. Seriously. No word yet on what he was reading, but presumably it wasn’t this book.
* David Ortiz smacked his 25th homer last night while driving in four runs, and is now hitting .261/.356/.548 with 24 homers, 18 doubles, and 67 RBIs in his last 90 games after batting .187 with one homer through June 1. “I knew that when I got my swing back, good things were going to happen,” Ortiz said.
* Giants manager Bruce Bochy inexplicably continues to give Eli Whiteside starts behind the plate when Bengie Molina needs a day off. Not only is Whiteside a career minor leaguer hitting just .200 in 45 games, the Giants have arguably the best catching prospect in baseball sitting on the bench.
* Aroldis Chapman is going to become a very rich man once he’s officially declared a free agent, but for the most part Cuban pitchers haven’t had a ton of success in the majors during the past couple decades.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)