Sep 24, 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
* Mariners closer David Aardsma injured his back recently while “scrunched up reading a book” on the team flight to Florida. Seriously. No word yet on what he was reading, but presumably it wasn’t this book.
* David Ortiz smacked his 25th homer last night while driving in four runs, and is now hitting .261/.356/.548 with 24 homers, 18 doubles, and 67 RBIs in his last 90 games after batting .187 with one homer through June 1. “I knew that when I got my swing back, good things were going to happen,” Ortiz said.
* Giants manager Bruce Bochy inexplicably continues to give Eli Whiteside starts behind the plate when Bengie Molina needs a day off. Not only is Whiteside a career minor leaguer hitting just .200 in 45 games, the Giants have arguably the best catching prospect in baseball sitting on the bench.
* Aroldis Chapman is going to become a very rich man once he’s officially declared a free agent, but for the most part Cuban pitchers haven’t had a ton of success in the majors during the past couple decades.
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 20
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 56
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 53
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)