Sep 25, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Giants’ catcher Bengie Molina got smacked in the left hand by a foul tip yesterday and had to leave the game. Bruce Bochy put Eli Whiteside in. Whiteside can’t hit. Neither can Molina for that matter. Buster Posey raked all season in the minor leagues, yet has only been given three (3) plate appearances since his callup at the beginning of the month. This all makes sense to Bochy, I assume, but he hasn’t really explained it.
One would think that with Molina down and the Giants almost certainly out of the wild card race, Bochy would finally give Posey a start or at least some playing time. I’d bet dollars to donuts that Whiteside starts tonight, however, because Bochy has absolutely no trust whatsoever in the Giants’ best hitting prospect since Matt Williams.
But like I said, the Giants are done so maybe it doesn’t matter. The real question is what they plan to do next year. If they have a lick of sense they will start with the assumption that Buster Posey will be the starting catcher. They will do so because they will realize — in hindsight, but still — that if they had had even a lick of hitting in 2009 they would have likely made the playoffs on the back of their superior pitching staff.
If they don’t — and if, instead, they spend the money that should go to a big bat on a Bengie Molina extension and relegate Posey to AAA once again — you can pretty much kiss off their chances for another year.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?