Sep 25, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Giants’ catcher Bengie Molina got smacked in the left hand by a foul tip yesterday and had to leave the game. Bruce Bochy put Eli Whiteside in. Whiteside can’t hit. Neither can Molina for that matter. Buster Posey raked all season in the minor leagues, yet has only been given three (3) plate appearances since his callup at the beginning of the month. This all makes sense to Bochy, I assume, but he hasn’t really explained it.
One would think that with Molina down and the Giants almost certainly out of the wild card race, Bochy would finally give Posey a start or at least some playing time. I’d bet dollars to donuts that Whiteside starts tonight, however, because Bochy has absolutely no trust whatsoever in the Giants’ best hitting prospect since Matt Williams.
But like I said, the Giants are done so maybe it doesn’t matter. The real question is what they plan to do next year. If they have a lick of sense they will start with the assumption that Buster Posey will be the starting catcher. They will do so because they will realize — in hindsight, but still — that if they had had even a lick of hitting in 2009 they would have likely made the playoffs on the back of their superior pitching staff.
If they don’t — and if, instead, they spend the money that should go to a big bat on a Bengie Molina extension and relegate Posey to AAA once again — you can pretty much kiss off their chances for another year.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)