Sep 25, 2009, 11:52 AM EDT
* Yesterday manager Eric Wedge and the Indians held a team meeting for the second time in a week … and then lost their 11th straight game. Cleveland is now 3-19 this month and the 11-game losing streak is the team’s longest since 1931.
At this point I’ll be very surprised if Wedge is back for an eighth season at the helm in 2010, if only because general manager Mark Shapiro probably needs to make someone the fall guy before all of the attention turns to him.
* Derrek Lee has the second-highest OPS in baseball during the past four months, but left yesterday’s game after aggravating the back injury that has lingered for much of the season. He’s considered day-to-day.
* In the process of winning his fourth straight game last night Brett Anderson set the A’s record for strikeouts by a rookie with 145. Oakland has had a ton of impressive young pitching in recent years, but because guys like Barry Zito, Mark Mulder, Tim Hudson, and Rich Harden didn’t play full seasons as rookies the record belonged to Rick Langford, who had 141 strikeouts while going 8-19 in 1977.
* Fernando Martinez is in the Dominican Republic recovering from July knee surgery and recently had his wallet “stolen while he was in a party with some relatives in an amusement center.” He’s out $2,000 and the Mets’ season gets just a little more absurd.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)