Sep 25, 2009, 11:52 AM EDT
* Yesterday manager Eric Wedge and the Indians held a team meeting for the second time in a week … and then lost their 11th straight game. Cleveland is now 3-19 this month and the 11-game losing streak is the team’s longest since 1931.
At this point I’ll be very surprised if Wedge is back for an eighth season at the helm in 2010, if only because general manager Mark Shapiro probably needs to make someone the fall guy before all of the attention turns to him.
* Derrek Lee has the second-highest OPS in baseball during the past four months, but left yesterday’s game after aggravating the back injury that has lingered for much of the season. He’s considered day-to-day.
* In the process of winning his fourth straight game last night Brett Anderson set the A’s record for strikeouts by a rookie with 145. Oakland has had a ton of impressive young pitching in recent years, but because guys like Barry Zito, Mark Mulder, Tim Hudson, and Rich Harden didn’t play full seasons as rookies the record belonged to Rick Langford, who had 141 strikeouts while going 8-19 in 1977.
* Fernando Martinez is in the Dominican Republic recovering from July knee surgery and recently had his wallet “stolen while he was in a party with some relatives in an amusement center.” He’s out $2,000 and the Mets’ season gets just a little more absurd.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger