Sep 25, 2009, 2:00 PM EDT
Prince Fielder receives a lot of criticism for his weight and the presumed lack of conditioning that comes with it, but as Adam McCalvy of MLB.com notes he’s the only player in baseball to appear in all of his team’s games this season.
Fielder has started at first base and batted cleanup in each of the Brewers’ first 153 games and plans to maintain his perfect attendance down the stretch:
Fielder recalled coming out of a Little League game when he was 12 years old, after fouling a pitch off his foot. “I came out of the game, and I remember someone being [upset]. They were like, ‘I think you’re all right,’” Fielder said. “That made me feel bad. I didn’t like the way I felt. So from then on, I wanted to play every day.
“I just felt soft. I didn’t like it. If I’m hurt, it’s one thing, but if I can to play, I want to play.” Fielder said he has fought through aches and pains this season, but never came close to asking for a day off. Manager Ken Macha never considered giving him one. “Not even close,” Macha said.
Interestingly, at least four players have appeared in 162 games every year since the strike-shortened 1994 and 1995 seasons, with a total of 76 different 162-game players during that 14-year stretch. And now suddenly Fielder is the only guy with a shot to do it this season. Coincidence or are teams more focused on giving their stars at least an occasional day off?
Fielder, incidentally, is hitting .297/.408/.595 with 42 homers, 34 doubles, 101 walks, and a league-leading 132 RBIs, including .282/.386/.600 with six homers and seven doubles in 23 games this month.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 13
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 22
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car