Sep 26, 2009, 1:22 PM EDT
“Keep giving me the ball. It doesn’t matter, the situation.
I need to get myself ready to pitch this postseason. It doesn’t matter to me if
it’s a one-run game or we’re down by seven. Work like that tonight is very
productive for me.”
– Brad Lidge wants to be the Phillies’ closer in the postseason, even as they consider alternatives.
Lidge allowed one run on two hits in an inning of mop-up duty against
the Brewers on Friday night. He has a 7.51 ERA and a major-league
leading 11 blown saves this season.
many positives we can take away from this year as a whole…It’s not a
learning process dealing with failure. I’m ready after that last out to
turn the page and get ready for next year, because this hasn’t been fun
for anybody. In fact, it’s been very disappointing.”
– David Wright expresses his disappointment in the Mets season.
They sit at 66-88 entering play on Saturday. Wright is batting just
.221 since returning from the disabled list on Sept. 1 and has already
established a career-high with 135 strikeouts.
man. They just crush me. The intensity on the field shut down, but the
intensity picked up in the bullpen, man, with the verbal abuse I’m
– J.P. Howell is taking a beating from his teammates
after being shut down for the rest of the season by manager Joe Maddon
on Friday. Howell has appeared in 123 games over the last two seasons.
All the work seemed to take a toll on his arm, as Howell posted a 6.75
ERA over his final 17 appearances.
“Oh, this is fun. More than you can imagine. It’s the best
time you ever have in your career, the September run to the playoffs
and the World Series … it’s incredibly fun. It gets the hair raising
on your arms.”
– The bloom hasn’t come off the rose for Bobby Cox as the Braves are still alive and kicking in the Wild Card race, just 3 1/2 games behind the Rockies with nine to play.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)