Sep 26, 2009, 6:04 PM EST
- The Braves might make a race of this thing. They won their fifth straight on Saturday afternoon,
storming past the last-place Nationals 11-5. They have won 13 out of
their last 15 games to move within three games of the Rockies for the
National League Wild Card. The Braves have eight games left, including
four against the Nationals again to close the season, so while a
comeback of epic proportions looks unlikely, don’t count them out.
After all, the Rockies aren’t exactly striding to the finish — they
are 5-5 over their last 10 games.
- According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, desperate for pitching help, the Diamondbacks may listen to offers for shortstop Stephen Drew
this winter. After a promising 2008, the former first-round pick is
batting just .259/.323/.430 with 12 homers and 59 RBI this season.
Since he is under the organization’s control through 2012, the club
hopes he might be an attractive piece on the trade market entering his
“Age 27″ season. With agent Scott Boras in tow, the club is unlikely to
lock Drew up with a long-term deal at a reasonable price if he bounces
back in 2010.
- The hard-charging Twins will try to make it five in a row
when Scott Baker (13-9, 4.43) opposes Lenny DiNardo (0-1, 8.22) and the
Royals on Saturday night. The Twins have won 10 of 11 and currently sit
just two games behind the Tigers in the AL Central. Detroit will send
Nate Robertson (2-2, 5.13) to the hill against Freddy Garcia (2-3,
4.01). The Tigers were shut out by Jake Peavy on Friday night. It
should get very interesting when the Twins and Tigers meet for a
four-game series on Monday in Detroit.
- And finally, Lookout Landing has Ichiro’s first-career ejection covered from all angles, including some nifty .gifs. Gotta love it.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)