Sep 26, 2009, 6:04 PM EDT
- The Braves might make a race of this thing. They won their fifth straight on Saturday afternoon,
storming past the last-place Nationals 11-5. They have won 13 out of
their last 15 games to move within three games of the Rockies for the
National League Wild Card. The Braves have eight games left, including
four against the Nationals again to close the season, so while a
comeback of epic proportions looks unlikely, don’t count them out.
After all, the Rockies aren’t exactly striding to the finish — they
are 5-5 over their last 10 games.
- According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, desperate for pitching help, the Diamondbacks may listen to offers for shortstop Stephen Drew
this winter. After a promising 2008, the former first-round pick is
batting just .259/.323/.430 with 12 homers and 59 RBI this season.
Since he is under the organization’s control through 2012, the club
hopes he might be an attractive piece on the trade market entering his
“Age 27″ season. With agent Scott Boras in tow, the club is unlikely to
lock Drew up with a long-term deal at a reasonable price if he bounces
back in 2010.
- The hard-charging Twins will try to make it five in a row
when Scott Baker (13-9, 4.43) opposes Lenny DiNardo (0-1, 8.22) and the
Royals on Saturday night. The Twins have won 10 of 11 and currently sit
just two games behind the Tigers in the AL Central. Detroit will send
Nate Robertson (2-2, 5.13) to the hill against Freddy Garcia (2-3,
4.01). The Tigers were shut out by Jake Peavy on Friday night. It
should get very interesting when the Twins and Tigers meet for a
four-game series on Monday in Detroit.
- And finally, Lookout Landing has Ichiro’s first-career ejection covered from all angles, including some nifty .gifs. Gotta love it.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 3
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 35
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)