Sep 27, 2009, 12:47 PM EST
“Before, we were a good club that was gutsy. Now, we are a really good club with great guts.”
- Tony LaRussa, after the Cardinals
clinched their first NL Central title since 2006 with a 6-3 victory
over the Rockies on Saturday night.
“I’m not in a pennant race, but at least I have some pride. When you
get [to the clubhouse] and turn on a stupid-ass football game when
those [expletive] football players don’t give a [expletive] about you,
that’s embarrassing. We’ve got seven games [left]. They are going to
pull their [expletive] together, period. I don’t mind losing a game,
but when you lose a game and you don’t care about it, we are going to
have a problem. To get your asses kicked like that and all of a sudden,
you’re watching football games? That’s a bunch of [expletive].”
- Ozzie Guillen, after watching his
team blow a 5-0 lead in an eventual 12-5 loss to the Tigers on Saturday
night. The White Sox have dropped eight of their last 10 games.
“When was the last time a 40-year-old pinch-ran for a 39-year-old? That’s what I want to know.”
- Brad Ausmus, after he pinch-ran
for Jim Thome during Saturday’s 8-4 comeback win over the Pirates. With
the victory, the Dodgers secured a trip to the postseason, however,
their magic number to clinch the division is down to two.
“This is fun.
You don’t start making a big deal about it with a week [to go]. I’m not
trying to do that. We’ve got our own destiny in our own hands. That’s
just the way it is. You either do it or you don’t. And I feel very good
where we’re at, but you have to go out and win games.”
- Jim Leyland isn’t letting the
pressure of a pennant race get to him. With Saturday’s win over the
White Sox, The Tigers remain two games in front of the second-place
Twins with eight games left to play. They host a critical four-game
series against Minnesota on Monday.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)