Sep 28, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
That’s according to Ken Rosenthal anyway.
Peterson is one of those famous, name brand pitching coaches. He became a name brand by landing a job with the A’s just before Zito, Hudson and Mulder came up, and talent like that has a funny way of making a pitching coach look good. He’s famous for allegedly saying that he could “fix Victor Zambrano in ten minutes” and slagging on Scott Kazmir when he was with the Mets, which led to New York trading the latter for the former in 2004. Maybe
Steve Phillips Jim Duquette shouldn’t have listened to Peterson, but it’s hard to fathom how an alleged genius pitching coach could get such an assessment so damn wrong.
No matter what you think of Peterson, however — and based on the pic to the right you have to respect any man who rocked the perm-mullet as late as 2007 — the bottom line in Milwaukee is that the Brewers’ 2009 staff suffered from an acute Sabathia and Sheets deficit disorder, and was afflicted with chronic Dave Bush syndrome and a virulent strain of Suppanitis. Bringing in a new pitching coach to treat the symptoms may have some sort of placebo effect, but it’s likely going to take a multiple pitcher transplant for the patient to get healthy again.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 0
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 9
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)