Sep 28, 2009, 9:25 AM EST
That’s according to Ken Rosenthal anyway.
Peterson is one of those famous, name brand pitching coaches. He became a name brand by landing a job with the A’s just before Zito, Hudson and Mulder came up, and talent like that has a funny way of making a pitching coach look good. He’s famous for allegedly saying that he could “fix Victor Zambrano in ten minutes” and slagging on Scott Kazmir when he was with the Mets, which led to New York trading the latter for the former in 2004. Maybe
Steve Phillips Jim Duquette shouldn’t have listened to Peterson, but it’s hard to fathom how an alleged genius pitching coach could get such an assessment so damn wrong.
No matter what you think of Peterson, however — and based on the pic to the right you have to respect any man who rocked the perm-mullet as late as 2007 — the bottom line in Milwaukee is that the Brewers’ 2009 staff suffered from an acute Sabathia and Sheets deficit disorder, and was afflicted with chronic Dave Bush syndrome and a virulent strain of Suppanitis. Bringing in a new pitching coach to treat the symptoms may have some sort of placebo effect, but it’s likely going to take a multiple pitcher transplant for the patient to get healthy again.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)