Sep 28, 2009, 9:25 AM EST
That’s according to Ken Rosenthal anyway.
Peterson is one of those famous, name brand pitching coaches. He became a name brand by landing a job with the A’s just before Zito, Hudson and Mulder came up, and talent like that has a funny way of making a pitching coach look good. He’s famous for allegedly saying that he could “fix Victor Zambrano in ten minutes” and slagging on Scott Kazmir when he was with the Mets, which led to New York trading the latter for the former in 2004. Maybe
Steve Phillips Jim Duquette shouldn’t have listened to Peterson, but it’s hard to fathom how an alleged genius pitching coach could get such an assessment so damn wrong.
No matter what you think of Peterson, however — and based on the pic to the right you have to respect any man who rocked the perm-mullet as late as 2007 — the bottom line in Milwaukee is that the Brewers’ 2009 staff suffered from an acute Sabathia and Sheets deficit disorder, and was afflicted with chronic Dave Bush syndrome and a virulent strain of Suppanitis. Bringing in a new pitching coach to treat the symptoms may have some sort of placebo effect, but it’s likely going to take a multiple pitcher transplant for the patient to get healthy again.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)