Sep 28, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
That’s according to Ken Rosenthal anyway.
Peterson is one of those famous, name brand pitching coaches. He became a name brand by landing a job with the A’s just before Zito, Hudson and Mulder came up, and talent like that has a funny way of making a pitching coach look good. He’s famous for allegedly saying that he could “fix Victor Zambrano in ten minutes” and slagging on Scott Kazmir when he was with the Mets, which led to New York trading the latter for the former in 2004. Maybe
Steve Phillips Jim Duquette shouldn’t have listened to Peterson, but it’s hard to fathom how an alleged genius pitching coach could get such an assessment so damn wrong.
No matter what you think of Peterson, however — and based on the pic to the right you have to respect any man who rocked the perm-mullet as late as 2007 — the bottom line in Milwaukee is that the Brewers’ 2009 staff suffered from an acute Sabathia and Sheets deficit disorder, and was afflicted with chronic Dave Bush syndrome and a virulent strain of Suppanitis. Bringing in a new pitching coach to treat the symptoms may have some sort of placebo effect, but it’s likely going to take a multiple pitcher transplant for the patient to get healthy again.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)