Sep 28, 2009, 10:28 AM EST
I’ve been going to baseball games since the Carter administration and I’ve never even sniffed a foul ball. I think the closest I’ve ever been to getting a souvenir was six or seven rows. So you’ll understand my jealousy of one Brian Cardis:
While most fans go a lifetime without catching a foul ball, Cardis caught two in the upper deck in a span of four pitches with the Dodgers’ James Loney batting in the ninth inning Sunday.
Both plays were nearly the same – high popups that floated over the first deck, carried three rows deep into the club-level seats behind third base in the second deck and directly into Cardis’ glove.
I’d understand if he had to scramble for ‘em. It’s Pittsburgh in late September, so there’s maybe three dozen fans in the whole joint. But these went right to his glove. He was taking a picture of the first one with his phone when the second one came his way.
I’m not exactly sure why I’m jealous. It’s one thing to show off a foul ball back at school on Monday, but I’m in my mid-30s now and there really isn’t anyone who would be all that impressed if I flashed a James Loney foul ball at a staff meeting at work or at a party or something.
But I am jealous. And given that lightning seems to like to strike there, I’m going to see if this Cardis guy puts any of his season tickets on StubHub next summer.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)