Sep 28, 2009, 10:28 AM EST
I’ve been going to baseball games since the Carter administration and I’ve never even sniffed a foul ball. I think the closest I’ve ever been to getting a souvenir was six or seven rows. So you’ll understand my jealousy of one Brian Cardis:
While most fans go a lifetime without catching a foul ball, Cardis caught two in the upper deck in a span of four pitches with the Dodgers’ James Loney batting in the ninth inning Sunday.
Both plays were nearly the same – high popups that floated over the first deck, carried three rows deep into the club-level seats behind third base in the second deck and directly into Cardis’ glove.
I’d understand if he had to scramble for ‘em. It’s Pittsburgh in late September, so there’s maybe three dozen fans in the whole joint. But these went right to his glove. He was taking a picture of the first one with his phone when the second one came his way.
I’m not exactly sure why I’m jealous. It’s one thing to show off a foul ball back at school on Monday, but I’m in my mid-30s now and there really isn’t anyone who would be all that impressed if I flashed a James Loney foul ball at a staff meeting at work or at a party or something.
But I am jealous. And given that lightning seems to like to strike there, I’m going to see if this Cardis guy puts any of his season tickets on StubHub next summer.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (237)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)