Sep 29, 2009, 6:57 PM EST
Rest easy Red Sox fans, Josh Beckett’s aching back did not come about as a result of pitching, but from an inability to, umm, rest easy (from the Globe):
“It was just something that you wake up with,” Beckett said. “It wasn’t like I felt anything when I was throwing. You just you wake up and you’re locked up.”
Instead, he pointed to the road trip.
“Three different crappy beds on the road, one getting in at 5 o’clock in the morning. I just don’t think that all that stuff really sat well with my back,” Beckett said. “It was unfortunate that you wake up on the day you start and don’t really feel well enough to be able to do that. I think we made the right decision. I feel a lot better today.”
This is certainly good news for the Red Sox, as Beckett has the most impressive playoff line of any of their starters: 7-2, 2.90 ERA, .943 WHIP, 96 Ks in 87 innings. He, along with the blossoming Jon Lester, give the Red Sox an edge in just about any matchup.
So no more crappy beds on the road for Josh Beckett. Let him sleep on a pile of feathers if need be. Or on one of these. Anything to keep that back in good shape.
Of course, I’m not sure what you can do about the blisters.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)