Sep 29, 2009, 6:57 PM EDT
Rest easy Red Sox fans, Josh Beckett’s aching back did not come about as a result of pitching, but from an inability to, umm, rest easy (from the Globe):
“It was just something that you wake up with,” Beckett said. “It wasn’t like I felt anything when I was throwing. You just you wake up and you’re locked up.”
Instead, he pointed to the road trip.
“Three different crappy beds on the road, one getting in at 5 o’clock in the morning. I just don’t think that all that stuff really sat well with my back,” Beckett said. “It was unfortunate that you wake up on the day you start and don’t really feel well enough to be able to do that. I think we made the right decision. I feel a lot better today.”
This is certainly good news for the Red Sox, as Beckett has the most impressive playoff line of any of their starters: 7-2, 2.90 ERA, .943 WHIP, 96 Ks in 87 innings. He, along with the blossoming Jon Lester, give the Red Sox an edge in just about any matchup.
So no more crappy beds on the road for Josh Beckett. Let him sleep on a pile of feathers if need be. Or on one of these. Anything to keep that back in good shape.
Of course, I’m not sure what you can do about the blisters.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)