Sep 29, 2009, 6:57 PM EDT
Rest easy Red Sox fans, Josh Beckett’s aching back did not come about as a result of pitching, but from an inability to, umm, rest easy (from the Globe):
“It was just something that you wake up with,” Beckett said. “It wasn’t like I felt anything when I was throwing. You just you wake up and you’re locked up.”
Instead, he pointed to the road trip.
“Three different crappy beds on the road, one getting in at 5 o’clock in the morning. I just don’t think that all that stuff really sat well with my back,” Beckett said. “It was unfortunate that you wake up on the day you start and don’t really feel well enough to be able to do that. I think we made the right decision. I feel a lot better today.”
This is certainly good news for the Red Sox, as Beckett has the most impressive playoff line of any of their starters: 7-2, 2.90 ERA, .943 WHIP, 96 Ks in 87 innings. He, along with the blossoming Jon Lester, give the Red Sox an edge in just about any matchup.
So no more crappy beds on the road for Josh Beckett. Let him sleep on a pile of feathers if need be. Or on one of these. Anything to keep that back in good shape.
Of course, I’m not sure what you can do about the blisters.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)