Sep 29, 2009, 8:25 AM EST
For the past month or so, the Blue Jays’ chain of command has been in apparent disarray. Cito Gaston told the media that the team wasn’t interested in retaining Rod Barajas. J.P. Ricciardi basically told the fans that they have no reason to root for Toronto. Now Gaston is once again out there, acting as the team’s defacto spokesman and playing hot stove pundit:
Halladay was on a spinning table, like the second item up for
display on The Price is Right, for 26 days in July before the Jays
ruled everyone had underbid. Whether it is this off-season or next
July’s deadline, they’ll receive less.
“If we don’t add anybody this winter, or go get somebody that
can help, I doubt we keep him,” manager Cito Gaston said. “That’s my
opinion. I don’t know that. Would it make any sense to keep him?
We can argue about whether keeping Halladay is a good idea, but is it really the manager’s place to be speculating, hypothesizing and pontificating about the team’s personnel moves like this? Better question: is there anyone in charge in Toronto?
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 127
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 234
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (234)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)