Sep 29, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* There’s been a lot of speculation recently about whether the Giants will retain Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy, but Sabean made it clear yesterday that Bochy will return as manager if he returns as general manager.
“Without question, Bruce has done a great job,” said Sabean, who has the second-longest tenure among all GMs with 13 years on the job. San Francisco will finish with a winning record this season for the first time since 2004.
* It’s been a month since the Nationals first started talking publicly about moving Cristian Guzman from shortstop to second base next season and three weeks since they actually sat down with Guzman to discuss the switch, yet the 31-year-old veteran said yesterday that he’s still not sure about making the change.
* Gabe Kapler, Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria, and Willy Aybar went deep last night as the Rays established a new team record for homers with 193, which is especially impressive given that they’ve been without Carlos Pena and his AL-leading 39 homers all month. Just like last season the Rays rank fourth among AL teams in homers and they’ve improved from ninth to fourth in runs scored, but the pitching staff has declined from second to eighth in runs allowed.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)