Sep 29, 2009, 11:47 AM EST
* There’s been a lot of speculation recently about whether the Giants will retain Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy, but Sabean made it clear yesterday that Bochy will return as manager if he returns as general manager.
“Without question, Bruce has done a great job,” said Sabean, who has the second-longest tenure among all GMs with 13 years on the job. San Francisco will finish with a winning record this season for the first time since 2004.
* It’s been a month since the Nationals first started talking publicly about moving Cristian Guzman from shortstop to second base next season and three weeks since they actually sat down with Guzman to discuss the switch, yet the 31-year-old veteran said yesterday that he’s still not sure about making the change.
* Gabe Kapler, Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria, and Willy Aybar went deep last night as the Rays established a new team record for homers with 193, which is especially impressive given that they’ve been without Carlos Pena and his AL-leading 39 homers all month. Just like last season the Rays rank fourth among AL teams in homers and they’ve improved from ninth to fourth in runs scored, but the pitching staff has declined from second to eighth in runs allowed.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (155)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (89)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (76)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)