Sep 29, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* There’s been a lot of speculation recently about whether the Giants will retain Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy, but Sabean made it clear yesterday that Bochy will return as manager if he returns as general manager.
“Without question, Bruce has done a great job,” said Sabean, who has the second-longest tenure among all GMs with 13 years on the job. San Francisco will finish with a winning record this season for the first time since 2004.
* It’s been a month since the Nationals first started talking publicly about moving Cristian Guzman from shortstop to second base next season and three weeks since they actually sat down with Guzman to discuss the switch, yet the 31-year-old veteran said yesterday that he’s still not sure about making the change.
* Gabe Kapler, Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria, and Willy Aybar went deep last night as the Rays established a new team record for homers with 193, which is especially impressive given that they’ve been without Carlos Pena and his AL-leading 39 homers all month. Just like last season the Rays rank fourth among AL teams in homers and they’ve improved from ninth to fourth in runs scored, but the pitching staff has declined from second to eighth in runs allowed.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)