Sep 29, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* There’s been a lot of speculation recently about whether the Giants will retain Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy, but Sabean made it clear yesterday that Bochy will return as manager if he returns as general manager.
“Without question, Bruce has done a great job,” said Sabean, who has the second-longest tenure among all GMs with 13 years on the job. San Francisco will finish with a winning record this season for the first time since 2004.
* It’s been a month since the Nationals first started talking publicly about moving Cristian Guzman from shortstop to second base next season and three weeks since they actually sat down with Guzman to discuss the switch, yet the 31-year-old veteran said yesterday that he’s still not sure about making the change.
* Gabe Kapler, Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria, and Willy Aybar went deep last night as the Rays established a new team record for homers with 193, which is especially impressive given that they’ve been without Carlos Pena and his AL-leading 39 homers all month. Just like last season the Rays rank fourth among AL teams in homers and they’ve improved from ninth to fourth in runs scored, but the pitching staff has declined from second to eighth in runs allowed.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)