Sep 29, 2009, 10:25 AM EST
They haven’t popped champagne just yet, but with the Pirates’ win against Los Angeles yesterday, the Nats can now finish no worse (better?) than a tie for the worst record in baseball. If the Pirates lose out and the Nats win out, they’ll both finish 59-103.
But, because the Pirates took the season series 5-3 against the Nats, Washington wins (loses?) the tiebreaker, thereby entitling them to draft one Bryce Harper. That is, if getting the rights to take a 16 year-old kid whom Scott Boras will try to have moved to Andorra or something in order to make him a free agent constitutes “entitlement.”
Congratulations, Nationals, you did it! Now all that is left is for Adam Dunn to hit two homers so he can finish with an even 40 for the fifth season in a row and the season will have been an unequivocal success!
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)