Sep 29, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT
They haven’t popped champagne just yet, but with the Pirates’ win against Los Angeles yesterday, the Nats can now finish no worse (better?) than a tie for the worst record in baseball. If the Pirates lose out and the Nats win out, they’ll both finish 59-103.
But, because the Pirates took the season series 5-3 against the Nats, Washington wins (loses?) the tiebreaker, thereby entitling them to draft one Bryce Harper. That is, if getting the rights to take a 16 year-old kid whom Scott Boras will try to have moved to Andorra or something in order to make him a free agent constitutes “entitlement.”
Congratulations, Nationals, you did it! Now all that is left is for Adam Dunn to hit two homers so he can finish with an even 40 for the fifth season in a row and the season will have been an unequivocal success!
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)