Sep 30, 2009, 11:49 AM EST
* After clinching their third straight division title, the Angels scratched Scott Kazmir from last night’s start and have also bumped Jered Weaver from tonight’s scheduled outing. Matt Palmer will take Weaver’s place against the Rangers.
Lyle Spencer of MLB.com speculates that the Angels’ postseason rotation will have John Lackey in Game 1 followed by Weaver, Kazmir, and Joe Saunders, which would leave Ervin Santana in the bullpen despite hurling a complete-game shutout earlier this week to make him 5-2 with a 3.18 ERA in 11 starts since August 1.
* Alex Cora hit just .251/.320/.310 in 82 games before undergoing season-ending surgery on both thumbs, but Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets are likely to re-sign the 33-year-old utility man.
* Andrew Baggarly does a very good job covering the Giants for the San Jose Mercury News, but his plan to give Jeremy Affeldt a 10th-place vote in the NL MVP balloting is the latest in a long line of things that make me care less and less about baseball’s season-ending awards.
* David Ortiz’s new restaurant isn’t getting glowing reviews, as the Boston Globe called Big Papi’s Grille “not very good” and “generic” while comparing it to “a midrange steakhouse in Applebee’s style architecture.”
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)