Sep 30, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
* Rookie outfielder Sam Fuld has been very productive in 61 games with the Cubs, hitting .302 with a .417 on-base percentage, six extra-base hits, and 16 runs in 103 plate appearances, but is still looking for his first career RBI.
Fuld has 26 hits, including five with runners in scoring position, but amazingly none of them have plated a run. No one in baseball history has finished a season with 20 or more hits and zero RBIs.
* Seattle has gone from 61 wins last season to 81 wins (and counting) this season, and Dave Cameron of Fan Graphs suggests that having the best defensive team of the decade is largely responsible.
* Rick Porcello threw a career-high 111 pitches in Game 1 of yesterday’s doubleheader, holding the Twins to one run in 6.1 innings. Rather than have him make one more start this weekend the Tigers are leaning toward shutting down the 20-year-old rookie, which would leave him at 14-9 with a 4.09 ERA in 165 innings.
* In other Tigers rotation news, Jarrod Washburn has been rehabbing his injured knee and hopes to be ready for game action in 2-4 weeks. Of course, even if the Tigers are still playing by then it’s unlikely that they’ll want to trust Washburn and his 7.33 ERA in an ALCS or World Series game.
* Facing felony charges in Texas for allegedly hitting and choking his wife last week, former Twins and Yankees second baseman Chuck Knoblauch turned himself into police yesterday and was later released on $10,000 bond.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury