Sep 30, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
* Rookie outfielder Sam Fuld has been very productive in 61 games with the Cubs, hitting .302 with a .417 on-base percentage, six extra-base hits, and 16 runs in 103 plate appearances, but is still looking for his first career RBI.
Fuld has 26 hits, including five with runners in scoring position, but amazingly none of them have plated a run. No one in baseball history has finished a season with 20 or more hits and zero RBIs.
* Seattle has gone from 61 wins last season to 81 wins (and counting) this season, and Dave Cameron of Fan Graphs suggests that having the best defensive team of the decade is largely responsible.
* Rick Porcello threw a career-high 111 pitches in Game 1 of yesterday’s doubleheader, holding the Twins to one run in 6.1 innings. Rather than have him make one more start this weekend the Tigers are leaning toward shutting down the 20-year-old rookie, which would leave him at 14-9 with a 4.09 ERA in 165 innings.
* In other Tigers rotation news, Jarrod Washburn has been rehabbing his injured knee and hopes to be ready for game action in 2-4 weeks. Of course, even if the Tigers are still playing by then it’s unlikely that they’ll want to trust Washburn and his 7.33 ERA in an ALCS or World Series game.
* Facing felony charges in Texas for allegedly hitting and choking his wife last week, former Twins and Yankees second baseman Chuck Knoblauch turned himself into police yesterday and was later released on $10,000 bond.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)