Sep 30, 2009, 9:30 AM EDT
It was about this time last year that the Mets gave Omar Minaya his contract extension. The Mets finished choking away the division a day or two later. The Dodgers are in all likelihood still going to win the west, but with their lead down to 3.5, with them losing like crazy to the Pirates and the Padres, and with the team playing some of their most uninspired ball of the year, can’t this wait a week?
The Dodgers are negotiating a long-term contract extension with General Manager Ned Colletti, a high-ranking club official said . . . It is uncertain whether the extension will be finalized or announced before the Dodgers complete play this year. The official was granted anonymity because owner Frank McCourt has asked that off-the-field business not take public precedence over the team’s quest to reach the World Series for the first time since 1988.
I don’t know when it was that baseball owners went and got themselves in a big damn hurry all of a sudden, but you’d think they’d want to actually, you know, see how the season turned out before deciding what to do with the most important position in the organization.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)