Sep 30, 2009, 9:30 AM EST
It was about this time last year that the Mets gave Omar Minaya his contract extension. The Mets finished choking away the division a day or two later. The Dodgers are in all likelihood still going to win the west, but with their lead down to 3.5, with them losing like crazy to the Pirates and the Padres, and with the team playing some of their most uninspired ball of the year, can’t this wait a week?
The Dodgers are negotiating a long-term contract extension with General Manager Ned Colletti, a high-ranking club official said . . . It is uncertain whether the extension will be finalized or announced before the Dodgers complete play this year. The official was granted anonymity because owner Frank McCourt has asked that off-the-field business not take public precedence over the team’s quest to reach the World Series for the first time since 1988.
I don’t know when it was that baseball owners went and got themselves in a big damn hurry all of a sudden, but you’d think they’d want to actually, you know, see how the season turned out before deciding what to do with the most important position in the organization.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)