Sep 30, 2009, 9:30 AM EDT
It was about this time last year that the Mets gave Omar Minaya his contract extension. The Mets finished choking away the division a day or two later. The Dodgers are in all likelihood still going to win the west, but with their lead down to 3.5, with them losing like crazy to the Pirates and the Padres, and with the team playing some of their most uninspired ball of the year, can’t this wait a week?
The Dodgers are negotiating a long-term contract extension with General Manager Ned Colletti, a high-ranking club official said . . . It is uncertain whether the extension will be finalized or announced before the Dodgers complete play this year. The official was granted anonymity because owner Frank McCourt has asked that off-the-field business not take public precedence over the team’s quest to reach the World Series for the first time since 1988.
I don’t know when it was that baseball owners went and got themselves in a big damn hurry all of a sudden, but you’d think they’d want to actually, you know, see how the season turned out before deciding what to do with the most important position in the organization.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)