Oct 1, 2009, 8:20 AM EST
Jamie Moyer tore three tendons on one play last night and he is now done for the season:
When Jamie Moyer limped off the mound and was assisted to the dugout by catcher Paul Bako during Tuesday night’s game against Houston, it was the last Phillies fans would see of him this season. The 46-year-old lefthander suffered two torn tendons in his groin area
and another near a lower abdominal muscle, the team said. The injuries
all occurred on the left side. He will undergo surgery within the next
two weeks, according to team physician Michael Ciccotti, before beginning a rehabilitation program that could have him ready for next season’s spring training.
I’d note the “could” there, because I can’t help but think that which is considered normal rehab for a ballplayer is not necessarily normal for a 46 year-old. Still, Moyer has 13 million reasons to do whatever he can to at least look like he can pitch next year.
The kicker about this is that, despite his trouble as a starter this year, and despite his displeasure at getting kicked from the rotation for Pedro, Moyer was 2-0 with a 1.93 ERA in five appearances out of the bullpen. No, he probably didn’t stand to be a late game assassin during the playoffs, but with the way Philly’s pen has been stinkin’ it up, he certainly could have proved useful.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (109)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)