Oct 1, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Jamie Moyer tore three tendons on one play last night and he is now done for the season:
When Jamie Moyer limped off the mound and was assisted to the dugout by catcher Paul Bako during Tuesday night’s game against Houston, it was the last Phillies fans would see of him this season. The 46-year-old lefthander suffered two torn tendons in his groin area
and another near a lower abdominal muscle, the team said. The injuries
all occurred on the left side. He will undergo surgery within the next
two weeks, according to team physician Michael Ciccotti, before beginning a rehabilitation program that could have him ready for next season’s spring training.
I’d note the “could” there, because I can’t help but think that which is considered normal rehab for a ballplayer is not necessarily normal for a 46 year-old. Still, Moyer has 13 million reasons to do whatever he can to at least look like he can pitch next year.
The kicker about this is that, despite his trouble as a starter this year, and despite his displeasure at getting kicked from the rotation for Pedro, Moyer was 2-0 with a 1.93 ERA in five appearances out of the bullpen. No, he probably didn’t stand to be a late game assassin during the playoffs, but with the way Philly’s pen has been stinkin’ it up, he certainly could have proved useful.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)