Joe Mauer is a thief!

Oct 1, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT

OK, hold your fire. I’m joking. Sort of.

Check out this video of Joe Mauer stealing signs and relaying them to Jason Kubel. This happens all the time, but it’s fun to have actual video of it. Note the little captions above and below the video explaining what’s going on.  It’s pretty cool stuff, actually.

For what it’s worth, I don’t really have a problem with this. Laird should hide his signs or change up the sequence if he’s having trouble. No one was complaining about this after the game or throwing balls at dudes’ heads as far as I know, so apparently all of the players feel the same way.

(thanks to reader MJ for the heads up)

1. Dave - Oct 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Check this out

2. The Common Man - Oct 1, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Who the hell cares! What a dumb article. How stupid can you get. How much do you have to pay to get this rubbish printed? Do everyone a favor and get lost. NBC SPORTS – FIRE THIS GUY!!! What a freakin’ moron. I am upset that the minute I took to read this article…I will never get back. I can tell your gay and the female my wife says dumb shit thats how I know

3. Mode: Theif and Lair - Oct 1, 2009 at 1:00 PM

This is so right on, it bears repeating, in bold!
    Thank you TCM, this was gold.

4. Pilothawkeye - Oct 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM

While I disagreed yesterday with Mr. Calcaterra regarding Derek Jeter, I am in agreement today. Baseball is all about signs. Pitcher to catcher, catcher to infielders, infielders to outfielders, third base coaches to batters, etc. Signs are obviously nothing more than coded messages to communicate what one wants to do. If one is smart (or slick) enough to decode the signs, then more power to then. How ridiculous would it be for the following:
    Catcher calls out to pitcher: “Throw a fastball”
    Pitcher to catcher: “I don’t want to”
    Cather to pitcher: “OK, how about a slider?”
    Pitcher to catcher: “Nope, not that one either, this guy can’t hit a curveball to save his life, so I want to throw a curve”
    Catcher to batter: “I guess he is going to throw a curve”
    Batter to 3rd base coach: “He is going to throw a curve, shall I take or swing away?”
    Third base coach to manager: “What should the batter do?”
    Manager: “What was that?”
    Trying to break codes has been around forever. How do you think WWII would have turned out if the British did not break the Enigma Code of the Germans?
    Like I said, I am agreeing with Mr. Calcaterra today

5. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I always hate to delve into the whole “unwritten rules” debate, but the unwritten rule on this has generally been that it’s OK to try and steal signs like Mauer was, but it’s not OK to do it via binoculars or the addition of technology in any way. Sure, Mauer could be subject to a beaning, but he knows that going in.

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Oct 1, 2009 at 1:13 PM

This is so right on, it bears repeating, in bold!
    Thank you TCM, this was gold.

Sorry but sarcasm doesn’t translate well over the ‘net, but you do realize this is a copy/paste from a comment re: Jeter yesterday, right?
    The “your gay and the female my wife says dumb shit thats how I know” line is a dead giveaway.

7. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Oct 1, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Catcher calls out to pitcher: “Throw a fastball”
    Pitcher to catcher: “I don’t want to”
    Cather to pitcher: “OK, how about a slider?”
    Catcher to batter: “I guess he is going to throw a curve”
    Third base coach to manager: “What should the batter do?”
    Manager: “What was that?”

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Major League:
    “Ah shit, all these pitches to choose from. Wonder how he feels about the old #1.”

8. Mode: Theif and Lair - Oct 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I didn’t look back, but I thought it was a compilation of many of the inane comments from yesterday.
    Either way, it had me laughing, making it “comedy gold, Jerry, comedy gold.”

9. sham - Oct 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Unless you are Harmon Killebrew or Kirby Puckett, SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

10. RIckyB - Oct 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I’m sorry, but Mauer is not relaying signs. Just because the guy says Mauer tells Kubel a curveball is coming on the first pitch, doesn’t mean that’s what he was doing. Watch the first pitch — not a curveball. And another pitch that was supposed to be a fastball was a change-up. So either Mauer was doing a bad job of picking up the signs, or he wasn’t stealing them. Either way, if I’m at the plate and the guy relaying signs at second is wrong on the first one, I’m sure not going to pay attention to what he says, especially with a guy throwing 99 on the mound.

11. jeff - Oct 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM

who cares – sign stealing is part of the game. you gonna tell me if you need a win and you know what pitch is coming you won’t help your buddy at the plate and your team out? every team does it.you try to steal second base but you know for a fact you were tagged out but the ump calls you safe – are you gonna tell the ump he was wrong and you should be out? nope!

12. Charlie Brown - Oct 2, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Good grief … honestly, Craig Calcaterra is an idiot. Do your job and write something worthwhile

13. MNWriter - Oct 3, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Better fact checking, please – the subtitles don’t match the pitches being thrown, as has been noted here.
    Also, the implication of the video is that Mauer indicates what the pitcher is going to throw via tapping his helmet. He does this habitually all the time – but even if it’s tipping pitches, he would NEVER do something that obvious. If base runners were out there pounding on their helmets all night the teams would retaliate, and Mauer knows that if he starts tipping pitches that obviously, he’d get a 99 mph fastball right in his catcher’s knees. He’s not stupid.
    Pitch tipping, by the way, isn’t against the rules, and every team does it, as long as you don’t use anything external to the game.
    The writer of this piece needs to research better before declaring things – the video is poor quality and clearly incorrect.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2968)